Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Commuting to Work Wearing Expensive Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cuttingboard, Oct 27, 2011.

1. kasakka

kasakka Senior member

Shoes are meant to be used. I take the bus everyday and while I don't own any Lobbs, Edward Greens and whatnot, the shoes I do have get used equally (on alternating days) regardless of price. In the city there isn't really anything that would hurt your shoes much. Likewise weather isn't a problem - if your shoes get wet, just let them dry (with shoe trees on) and just brush them off and polish and they'll be just fine. Yes, I've had people accidentally stand on my shoes but it hasn't hurt them.

2. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I walk 1.6 miles to work (downtown Chicago) usually in leather soled shoes. In fact, only one pair is rubber sole, though I will be buying another pair soon.

I am very fond of my shoes, but if something were to happen to them, I am prepared to not give a shit.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you sure you don't walk 1.59 miles to work? Because if it were actually 1.6 you would definitely give a shit if something happened to your shoes.

4. gegarrenton

gegarrenton Senior member

Watch out at 1.61, all hell breaks loose.

I bought my shoes to wear, so that is what I do. My brands also run the gamut from Florsheim to Lobb.

5. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

That's why God made some people cobblers.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

God doesn't create jobs, rich people do. :teach:

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

8. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

I agree with Spoo's 'shit happens' post. I slipped on the stairs and fucked up a really nice pair of shoes. The Shit It Happens!

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1. I'm more careful when wearing my better shoes, but if they scuffed or damaged, then so be it. I bought them to be worn (eventually :laugh:).

10. swiego

swiego Senior member

I suppose I will be the voice of dissention here. I agree that things happen and one mustn’t lose too much sleep when something happens. That said, I have no problem with the philosophy of saving your nicer things for special times in order to mitigate the possible damage one might face when shit does, indeed, happen. I don’t drink my finest, most expensive wines when I simply want a buzz; I save them for when I have friends and family over whom I care about. I don’t take my most expensive camera lenses with me whenever I walk out the door; I take them when I think I am going somewhere that merits both the inconvenience and the risk of carrying them along. I don't expect my fiance to wear her most expensive jewelry each time we go out the door. And, I don’t always wear my finest shoes for something like a commute if I know that they’re going to be put through the ringer.

Practically speaking, I do not have a subway commute but I do sometimes drive a roadster with custom machined aluminum pedals with pretty sharp edges that love to scrape leather off shoes. I mostly am in my office, but sometimes I am touring a factory or construction site walking on wet mud. It’s comforting to know that my fine shoes can handle this sort of stress, but just as I don’t want to drive the roadster when there are four inches of snow on the ground (even though I could take the “cars are meant to be driven” approach and dress it up with winter tires and 250lbs in the trunk), I’m completely comfortable swapping to something I care less about destroying by accident.

I suppose the root difference is that I [apparently] am much, much less wealthy than most of the audience here. Like most of this country in the first few centuries of its formation, I can afford some nice things but I cannot afford to mistreat them. As my predecessors saved their fine china for special guests, and their Sunday finest for, well, Sunday, I WANT to treat my finer items as precious. I suspect that many people here have a strong modern consumer attitude toward luxury items: they are swimming in them, buying them on a monthly or even weekly basis, and have stocked up so many shoes that they frankly do not care so much if one of them gets damaged. I don't recall my reasonably well-to-do grandparents having anywhere near the amount of "stuff" that we do today. I am sure they only had a couple of pairs of shoes: one for daily use and one for important occasions. As someone going through a phase in his life where he feels he has TOO MANY things and wants to pare down to that simpler, more old-fashioned life with fewer, more precious items, I am learning in the process that I need to make more situational use of these precious items a higher priority in order for them to last longer and be in good condition and ready to go when I need them.

I suppose it's different when you have four pairs of $500+ shoes at any given time; a good, severe scratch on one wouldn't make you worry at all about what to wear for a more formal event that same night...

It’s funny how a group of people who follow classical / traditional looks and styles so thoroughly seem to have such a modern sensibility when it comes to disposability and consumerism.

(Then again I may be misreading things in a fundamental way here... for this group, $1,000 shoes may indeed be considered "commuter and daily workhorse" shoes... like someone buying a $120K sedan as a daily driver... in which case none of the above applies.)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

11. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

What's the point of owning the shoes if you don't wear them?

12. JSSM

JSSM Well-Known Member

This. I buy shoes to look good on my feet, not in my wardrobe. I wouldn't buy a pair of dress shoes that I wouldn't wear to work (apart from black formal).

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Yes I do actually, nothing expensive though, made in China, no Lobbs, Churchs or Greens. Wear them occasionally for things like weddings.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

14. deporojue

deporojue Member

i would say also a voice of reason.
    yes, shoes are meant to be worn, but it doesn't mean one cannot make a judicious choice on when and where to wear them depending on his circumstances.
    if you own only one or two nice pairs of shoes, it is not a bad idea not to subject them to a daily routine where they have a higher probability of having shit happen, but that doesn't mean you "don't wear" them.

15. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I take it that would be large metropolitan North American and European cities. like NYC, Chicago, London, Paris and similar.