• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Commuting to Work Wearing Expensive Shoes

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I've been a member of the forum I've learned more about shoes than I care to tell anyone, especially my wife. I've learned about brands that I had no idea existed and since becoming more aware of quality shoes, I've also become more aware of how much abuse I inflict on them while commuting to and from work via subway on a daily basis. Even though I'm in the process of swapping out my Cole Haan cap toes and wingtips for better quality shoes, I find myself reaching for them because I do not mind subjecting them to the abuse or weather.

Therefore, my question is how many of you guys that take the subway or bus to work wear your Carmina's, G&G or Edward Green shoes on a daily basis? Or do you mostly wear them when going out on the weekends or special occasions?

Last edited:

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I commute to work by bus about half the time and drive the other half. I wear all my shoes (EGs, Vass, C&J, Alfred Sargeants, Trickers) in rain, sun or snow. Granted I'm more likely to put on a pair of dainite-soled shoes if the weather is particularly bad, but shoes are meant to be worn...

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I drive to the train station, take the train, and then take a subway. From there I walk nearly a mile. And yes, I wear my AS, AE, C&J, etc shoes unless its heavily raining/snowing, in which case I'll put on overshoes or wear my beaters.

Wearing your shoes on your commute is not abuse, but rather plain use. They will get nicks, people will step on them, they will get scratched, the sole will wear, etc. Most people here will consider this patina, and simply maintain the shoe well with regular polishing and conditioning.

I try not to wear my really good shoes to sloppy bars with beer all over the floor, but sometimes it happens. Usually the next day I'll just clean them up, maybe throw some conditioner on, polish, and they are good to go again.

H2T

Reaction score
Daily but never the same pair two days in a row. Thats the whole point. Different shoes on weekends for different occasions.

I take a shuttle bus daily and the subway across the harbour sometimes without any problem. I even see very expensive bags carried by men and women on public transport no problemo.

I guess it all depends on where you live.

H2T

Reaction score
Daily but never the same pair two days in a row. Thats the whole point. Different shoes on weekends for different occasions.

I take a shuttle bus daily and the subway across the harbour sometimes without any problem. I even see very expensive bags carried by men and women on public transport no problemo.

I guess it all depends on where you live.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I wear my shoes daily. if its raining, i have a pair of Lobbs with topy'd soles that i dont mind wearing...there again, my commute is from my building to my car, then car to office.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cycle to work all year round, but it really depends what bike I am riding and what the weather is like, whether I wear whatever I am going to wear for the day, including good shoes, or not. From spring to autumn, I usually ride my Brompton (folding bike), and I wear my work clothes. But with ice and snow and blizzards in winter, when I'm riding my ice-bike, I am in full winter bike clothes, and tend to keep a couple of suits, pairs of pants and jackets and pairs of shoes in the office and carry whatever shirts, ties and accessories I need in a backpack.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I walk to work, but I wouldn't want to be wearing the John Lobbs, Churchs or Edward Greens.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I walk to work, but I wouldn't want to be wearing the John Lobbs, Churchs or Edward Greens.

i wouldnt either if i was walking in your neck of the woods :lol:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drive to work but wear my Alden and Allen Edmond shoes into the office year round (except on days that I come straight from the gym and shower/change at the office). In the snowy, icy, salty, muddy and cold weather I still wear my shoes (I do keep a brush in desk for when it's needed). I drive a Jeep Wrangler and in the winter the snow and slush seems to accumulate on the inside because of the way the sill is but I still don't worry too much my shoes. That's what a brush and a rag are for.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
I commute to work everyday on the NYC subway. That does not dictate my shoe choice - weather does. If its foul weather, Ill put on one of my rubber soled cheaper pairs. I probably jinxing myself, but in 15+ years of riding the subway the only shoe damage Ive received is the infrequent scuff from someone inadvertently stepping on them, or the diabolical gum on the platform.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I walk about a half a mile to the subway then an avenue to work. I wear expensive shoes, however I am very conscious of my feet on a crowded subway, and walking up stairs and such. I am as careful as I can be, but like Spoo said, **** does happen and when it does I get really frustrated, like when a fat pregnant woman with 4 kids trample across your feet. On rainy days like today, I have a small selection of shoes that have fallen out of favor that I will wear. Then I let them dry naturally, condition and polish. All you can do really. Like others have said, don't wear the same pair every day and use trees and condition and polish on some sort of regular frequency and you will be ok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads