Community

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Mar 19, 2010.

1. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

I don't really like community much. I think it's too self-aware, the jokes seem a bit forced, and just don't find the writing that funny. It's still better than other shows on TV (the office has been embarassingly bad the last 2-3seasons).

Parks&Rec is actually good this season. The first season was not good at all but they seemed to have found their groove character wise. I'm hoping community settles a bit as well. I think it has potential but think it's kinda lame at the moment

2. badsneakers

badsneakers Member

Chevy Chase has got some swagger.

Can't really agree with you on Parks & Recreation though. I love the format but it's just too bleak when compared to The Office.

3. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Chevy Chase has got some swagger.

Can't really agree with you on Parks & Recreation though. I love the format but it's just too bleak when compared to The Office.

Well, i think like with the office they're gonna focus on rashida jones, the weird gothy chick, the loser guy, and the govt worker guy and their little love...square thing kinda how the office focused on jim/pam relationship with amy pohler being the "zany" character and then the others adding in their little eccentricities along the way. The concept is almost identical to the office but tweaked. Has potential to be solid.

Again, i want to like community but it comes off more smarmy and self-congratulating than i'd like and i guess it just rubs me the wrong way. I think it'll get better when it settles down some and finds a groove

30rock varies from episode to episode now. I think everyone sees that people are becoming parodies of themselves a bit which i'm guessing comes from success and execs telling them to "go with what people like more". Some episodes are better than others but there are always some really good moments and scenes. Hoping that they'll realize this and come back the next season better

4. Listi

Listi Senior member

I laughed so hard it hurt at this week's Community. Spoilers [highlight to see]: I literally came close to falling off my chair with laughter when Annie maced herself.

5. mgoose

mgoose Senior member

Didn't like the first season of P&R, but as of now it's the best of the bunch. Ron, Tom, and Andy are hilarous, the show cracks me up

Right now for me the rank is

P&R > 30 Rock > Community > The Office

6. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

I really don't like Parks and Rec. It has some good jokes here and there, some good characters, but the Office-y format is going to be this generation's bad sitcom cliche. The confessionals, soap opera love triangles, and shaky camera shots ruin it like a bad laugh track.

Love Community, though. I thought it had promise when it started slow and mediocre, and I'm glad it's living up to its potential. Good to see Asians getting real people gigs in comedy.

7. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

8. sonick

sonick Senior member

Fuuuu, must download! Reading everyhwere how awesome the last episode was... Can't wait.

9. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

Senor Chang in a cream-colored suit w/ sunglasses, a toothpick, a massive red-striped paintball gun and two huge gold pistols FTW!!!

Come with me if you don't want paint on your clothes.

10. sipang

sipang Senior member

a Chow Yun-Fat/Woo reference, how awesomer can it get ?!

11. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Senior member

Iam that douchebag that brings his own equipment

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

[​IMG]
    Just caught it on hulu after hearing how good it was. Claaasic!
    Ironic, too, because just last week a friend and I were talking about how the last several episodes they had really downplayed the whole Jeff wanting to bone Brita thing.

13. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

i want to bone brita. and allison brie. at the same time.

btw, i lol'ed when i saw justin lin was the director of the episode. great work.

14. sonick

sonick Senior member

i want to bone brita. and allison brie. at the same time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member