• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Communication degree, finance job

mikeman

Reaction score
So, I will being graduating in December with a Communication degree. I would really like working in marketing/advertising. However, I have always loved finance, but decided against that for a few reasons, such as feeling bad losing peoples money, crunching numbers, and the overall stress. But I was wondering if there are any finance jobs that I would be able to obtain without a business/ finance degree.
I have been studying investing for years on personal time, and have a pretty good understanding of how markets and investing work. I thought about this because I had a discussion with a family friend who said that it doesn't matter too much on a persons degree, as most places will train you how they would like regardless.
Sidenote: Ive been a bank teller for 5 years if that matters at all.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People with finance degrees are having trouble finding finance jobs. What type of finance job are you seeking? It sounds like you want to be a broker. If you've been a bank teller for 5 years you could try to transition into an advisor position at your bank and obtain your licenses that way. This is going to be your best option to get your foot in the door, then you could attempt to transition to another company as a broker once you have your licenses.

Other, less sought after organizations, mostly insurance companies, will hire those without finance degrees, but those jobs generally suck and you seem to be interested in other areas of finance. You stand a much better shot at getting a job selling/advising rather than something like corporate finance, which almost always requires a degree in finance, accounting or another 'technical' field.

kasper007

Reaction score

You might be a good fit for client relations or writing commentaries/quarterly reports for asset management organizations.

Yes, investor relations at a buy-side firm is what instinctively came to mind, but it's not really finance and you typically don't have much (if any) chance at a lateral move to a front office position. That being said, hiring of non-finance grad really varies around the world so it would be helpful to hear about where you live and went to school (doesn't need school name, but an indication of standing would be helpful).

gone2dabeach

Reaction score
I too have a comm degree but have been working in marketing for digital media companies the past couple years. I have an AA in Econ from a California community college and my BA in Communications from UC, San Deigo.

Can you describe what investor relations at a buy-side firm entails?

Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads