• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Common Projects S/S '07

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont think cp does too much marketing
now go back look at the ndg lookbook, the outfits wouldnt look half as good when paired with stan smiths instead of cps

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
i dont think cp does too much marketing now go back look at the ndg lookbook, the outfits wouldnt look half as good when paired with stan smiths instead of cps
My point regarding marketing wasn't directed towards the CPs, but let's say some Chinese company copied these exactly, branded them as something else (i.e. not a fake) and they had the identical look to the CPs, but the same quality as Chucks, and they cost $30. Would you buy them? What if another company made another pair that were for all intents and purposes identical in every way to the CP, except for the name, including the stitched footbed etc, and they were $50 but a no-name brand. Would you buy them? If i liked the aesthetic and was happy with the quality, I'd be happy to own either of the two above cases. If you wouldn't own them, it would be for two reasons. 1) You're buying them for the brand. 2) You like supporting artisans by paying $200 more for the same thing. FWIW I was underwhelmed by the NDG pic that was posted and I was underwhelmed by seeing, holding, and trying on these shoes IRL.

Brian SD

Reaction score
A price quality ratio discussion isn't out of place here, and IMO, it's good for everyone to get a wake up call every once in awhile and be forced to second guess your purchases and re-think how you're spending your money. The problem is that every single Common Projects discussion has turned into a PQR argument, because this is the internet. You see pictures and you form an opinion. CP is the type of brand that you have to check out in person to figure out.

I'm a little shocked that brandwhoring was used to describe Common Projects. There's a very good rationale for dropping the $ for these shoes.

The quality definitely makes CP shoes a reasonable purchase at their retail price, considering how the price curve works with sneaks. Stan Smiths, Chucks, Jacks, etc. may look decent enough at their price, but they simply do not compare to designer kicks in the $200+ range in terms of quality. The leather used in them, even the nicer John Varvatos Converses and the Adidas Originals shoes that run around $95, is very low quality. They crack and crease unattractively and lose their patina quickly.

It's like comparing Levi's STFs to Sugarcanes. Sure, okay, Levi's STFs are raw denim and they start dark, but when they start wearing in you see how crappy they are, when the color is this ugly grey/blue that lacks the depth of Sugarcane's dye. If Levi's STFs were all I'd seen, I'd probably like them.. but when you've seen a nice worn pair of super high quality denim, you realize how much of a difference there is.

CP shoes are sturdy, which is nice, but the real draw to them isn't the longevity but how nice the leather and other details look. You simply cannot get such nice feeling/looking leather under $200, and as Babar pointed out, Dior Homme kicks in a lesser quality leather run you up to $400+, even second hand. It breaks down to, if you like sneakers, but you also demand really high quality, you simply aren't going to be satisfied with shoes sub-$200. If you want the quality and the style, you gotta pay.

So that said, everyone be civil, stop insulting each other and ****. I don't want to close this thread.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
A price quality ratio discussion isn't out of place here, and IMO, it's good for everyone to get a wake up call every once in awhile and be forced to second guess your purchases and re-think how you're spending your money. The problem is that every single Common Projects discussion has turned into a PQR argument, because this is the internet. You see pictures and you form an opinion. CP is the type of brand that you have to check out in person to figure out.

I'm a little shocked that brandwhoring was used to describe Common Projects. There's a very good rationale for dropping the $ for these shoes.

The quality definitely makes CP shoes a reasonable purchase at their retail price, considering how the price curve works with sneaks. Stan Smiths, Chucks, Jacks, etc. may look decent enough at their price, but they simply do not compare to designer kicks in the $200+ range in terms of quality. The leather used in them, even the nicer John Varvatos Converses and the Adidas Originals shoes that run around $95, is very low quality. They crack and crease unattractively and lose their patina quickly.

It's like comparing Levi's STFs to Sugarcanes. Sure, okay, Levi's STFs are raw denim and they start dark, but when they start wearing in you see how crappy they are, when the color is this ugly grey/blue that lacks the depth of Sugarcane's dye. If Levi's STFs were all I'd seen, I'd probably like them.. but when you've seen a nice worn pair of super high quality denim, you realize how much of a difference there is.

CP shoes are sturdy, which is nice, but the real draw to them isn't the longevity but how nice the leather and other details look. You simply cannot get such nice feeling/looking leather under $200, and as Babar pointed out, Dior Homme kicks in a lesser quality leather run you up to $400+, even second hand. It breaks down to, if you like sneakers, but you also demand really high quality, you simply aren't going to be satisfied with shoes sub-$200. If you want the quality and the style, you gotta pay.

So that said, everyone be civil, stop insulting each other and ****. I don't want to close this thread.

Good analysis.

I don't have a problem with people buying whatever they want. If they think CPs are cool, have tried them on, think they're awesome, think they're worth the money, then buy them, then cool, by all means.

I get annoyed when people pull the "I'll pay whatever they cost because I'm a ******* baller" attitude whenever people suggest looking at the price/quality ratio, and I get even more annoyed when people who have never seen or handled these shoes (or any other product described in SF, not necessarily these) pull that ****.

headcoat

Reaction score
Why don't people ever have these price arguments over Dior sneakers ($400+)? Because they say Dior Homme on the side? Common Projects construction and leather feels far superior to sneakers that cost much more. The styling appeals to me more because there is no visible branding.

I would also like to mention that Ann D sells plain white Chuck Taylor lookalikes for $800.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by headcoat
Why don't people ever have these price arguments over Dior sneakers ($400+)? Because they say Dior Homme on the side? Common Projects construction and leather feels far superior to sneakers that cost much more. The styling appeals to me more because there is no visible branding.

I would also like to mention that Ann D sells plain white Chuck Taylor lookalikes for $800.

I'll be sure to comment that these sneakers are overpriced the next time there's a thread about them.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the achilles low in black and it's a beautiful sneaker. I see both sides of the argument on this one. It is a lot to pay for a sneaker, but I have worn mine through the nasty NYC streets during the wintertime and they still look damn near brand new. I held off getting them for months, but then I got the discount so I had to cop.

If you like them purchase, if not don't....it's that simple. In terms of marketing, they dont have to market them becuase this forum is doing it for them.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I find this argument strange, mainly because it never seems to come up when people discuss buying e.g. Tod's driving shoes... they are about as disposable and cost a lot, but people for some reason can accept that, while these only have the distinction of being sneaker-styled.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I find this argument strange, mainly because it never seems to come up when people discuss buying e.g. Tod's driving shoes... they are about as disposable and cost a lot, but people for some reason can accept that, while these only have the distinction of being sneaker-styled.

Tod's and these CPs both look like retirement home specials so I don't really see a distinction, frankly...

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
PG, where's the best place I should get my sumis in your opinion?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got mine from 2000db, the markup in NYC is pretty damn high. I recently decided that I wouldn't do anymore blind jean purchases though. If I can't try them on or return them, I'm not bothering. Though, I do think I'd have a problem paying $340 for them, or whatever they charge.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
I got mine from 2000db, the markup in NYC is pretty damn high. I recently decided that I wouldn't do anymore blind jean purchases though. If I can't try them on or return them, I'm not bothering. Though, I do think I'd have a problem paying $340 for them, or whatever they charge.

how much are they through 2000db?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
how much are they through 2000db?

Hrm, I don't remember exactly, but around $270 or $280 shipped.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G

Fock that is way too much when you got them for 275.

niubi

Reaction score
For the Edmontonians.....these are at Haven for $270 CAD I believe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads