• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Common Projects and BAPES

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's with copies of classic shoes like Chuck's and Nike's that are actually more expensive than the original, like Common Projects and BAPES? Usually copies are cheaper. I don't get it.
confused.gif

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this is a parody it's not very timely.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much like radio rap, the disney corporation and diamonds, Bape is a very large inside joke to see how much stupid people will pay for ugly/horrible/worthless things with intrinsic values that have been inflated by marketing.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
You are joking, right? I sure hope so after 2K+ posts.
Nope. I went to a store to finally see these Common Projects that everyone on SF seemed so enamoured with... they look the same as Converse except for slightly nicer materials, but at many times the price. Chuck's are $60 CAN a pair, these were like $475. It can't be a status symbol thing, since most people have no idea what common projects are. I was with a buddy, and he just asked me "why are they so expensive?" all I could think of was "I think Kanye West wears them"

Cas Ruffin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Nope. I went to a store to finally see these Common Projects that everyone on SF seemed so enamoured with... they look the same as Converse except for slightly nicer materials, but at many times the price. Chuck's are $60 CAN a pair, these were like $475. It can't be a status symbol thing, since most people have no idea what common projects are.

I was with a buddy, and he just asked me "why are they so expensive?" all I could think of was "I think Kanye West wears them"

I have to agree. It's really all hype.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think of a pair of chucks as a pair of black square toed leather loafers, say around $80-100 CAN. Now think of a pair of john lobb black leather loafers (not square toe), say around $900 CAN. Both are around ten times more expensive than the cheap pair, both are considerably better quality too.

Tell you what, if you can't find common project quality sneakers for less than $200-$300 retail I'd be surprised, I recognize them instantly because of how flawless they are.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are a lot better the converse in every facet. materials, comfort, construction etc.

they are overpriced at retail, but if your lucky they can be had for $100 which i would gladly pay the premium over the run of the mill chucks.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Tell you what, if you can't find common project quality sneakers for less than $200-$300 retail I'd be surprised, I recognize them instantly because of how flawless they are.

Do they actually make these flawless shoes in little girl sizes?

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
common projects aren't really chucks

i mean

italian patent/nappa leather vs. canvas and a rubber toe cap

???

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
crackup[1].gif
Originally Posted by Mazda
Do they actually make these flawless shoes in little girl sizes?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Voted on star level of this thread.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
Much like radio rap, the disney corporation and diamonds, Bape is a very large inside joke to see how much stupid people will pay for ugly/horrible/worthless things with intrinsic values that have been inflated by marketing.
Remind me to make this my sig when the current mulansauce quote has gotten enough play.

Originally Posted by Cas Ruffin
But at the end of the day. They get dirty, worn, and you'll have to throw them out. Not like you can get them recobbled.
Oh, but didn't you know that Italian leather automatically repels dirt? And since fat people aren't allowed to wear ceepees, everyone who wears them is light enough to levitate over mud puddles.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when they get unwearable, you just kop another pair, no big deal
so far i've had my achilles low for about 1.5-2 years and they are still in great shape...

i got me some bapes, i got i got i got me some bapes
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads