• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Commissioning suit trousers to match an orphaned jacket in terms of colour and fabric

mdg137

Reaction score
My suspicion is that it would be nearly impossible.

Even IF you could find the same fabric, it would be from a different dye lot, and more than likely would never quite match.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdg137
My suspicion is that it would be nearly impossible.

Even IF you could find the same fabric, it would be from a different dye lot, and more than likely would never quite match.

+1

Even IF you found the exact fabric, from the same dye lot, it still wouldnt match. If a suit has seen sunlight, there will be a slight difference from one that has not seen sunlight that most likely could be seen.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Damn it. I thought that would be the answer. Well, can a dark solid orphaned jacket be worn with khaki's? Or should I avoid orphaned jackets altogether?

Does the jacket have any texture? What colour is it?

Originally Posted by maxnharry
+1

Even IF you found the exact fabric, from the same dye lot, it still wouldnt match. If a suit has seen sunlight, there will be a slight difference from one that has not seen sunlight that most likely could be seen.

And along with that the jacket will have most likely been dry cleaned at some point in the past which would have altered its appearance as well.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would say go for it. If it was a pinstripe it would stand out as an odd jacket, but a navy/midnight colour won't be noticed as an odd jacket.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had great success with this, however, it was under somewhat different circumstances. The orphaned jacket was a new Zegna that I picked up for next to nothing at Nordstrom Rack. I then took it directly across the parking lot to the main Nordstroms and had the sales person order matching trousers, from Zegna, to replace the missing ones. He had the factory codes (from the pocket tags) to order the exact fabric and color I required. The color was also a big factor in matching the two elements. The suit is dark charcoal and I'm not certain that I'd have tried this with any other shade of grey, or, any other color. I certainly wouldn't have tried it with a plaid or stripe. All in all it worked out very well for me because, I think, of the just the right set of circumstances. YMMV! There is another factor that might make it worth the risk. The major cost here is in making up the new trousers (a thrifted jacket costs very little), so if you'd be happy with winding up with a new pair of bespoke or mtm trousers (with the added bonus of possibly having a great suit at minimal cost) its worth taking the chance.

yo!

Reaction score
Change the buttons and voila... a new blazer.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merkur,

If it's a really dark navy, I'd take a chance on using it as an odd jacket.
I would be very tempted to change all the buttons out for something in horn or bone, just to differentiate it from other jackets and to give it a bit of visual "pop".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics