• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Commissioning my First Briefcase

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided to find a custom maker for a briefcase after months of fruitless searching in shops and online.

What I'm shooting for is a classic case with a double gusset and I wanted the leather to be extremely durable. So I settled on this as my starting point:

I'm having some changes done to this:

1) Double gusset instead of single
2) Brass hardware instead of nickle
3) Slightly larger (the one pictured is 15" in length)

The leather is full grain American steerhide, cut from the shoulder I believe.

I should be receiving my case sometime in the first week of June so I'll be sure to post a review.

Last edited:

ferguscan

Reaction score
That looks boss. Couple nitpicks:

- The shoulder pad looks flimsy. Much prefer the chunky piece of dead animal (many layers?) that Filson uses.

- The straps look a bit too far apart for my tastes. But that is purely subjective.

Approximate price?

Stuart

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fine but how much?

MRMan

Reaction score
I decided to find a custom maker for a briefcase after months of fruitless searching in shops and online.

Congrats on the great briefcase. Love it, especially after those small tweaks.

Just curious, did you consider Mitchell out of Wisconsin? Their leather is top notch and I'm guessing you're in their price range. I am considering them for my next briefcase and am curious if anything steered you away. Thanks.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That looks boss. Couple nitpicks:
- The shoulder pad looks flimsy. Much prefer the chunky piece of dead animal (many layers?) that Filson uses.
- The straps look a bit too far apart for my tastes. But that is purely subjective.
Approximate price?
Stuart

between $350-$450

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congrats on the great briefcase. Love it, especially after those small tweaks.  

Just curious, did you consider Mitchell out of Wisconsin? Their leather is top notch and I'm guessing you're in their price range. I am considering them for my next briefcase and am curious if anything steered you away. Thanks.

I looked at them but didn't like their choice of leathers (they don't work with english bridle and refuse to do so) and their prices were too high considering the lack of hand stitching (they use machine). I'm getting a hand stitched case made

Last edited:

MRMan

Reaction score
I looked at them but didn't like their choice of leathers (they don't work with english bridle and refuse to do so) and their prices were too high considering the lack of hand stitching (they use machine). I'm getting a hand stitched case made

Good to know. Thanks!

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Case came in today on time and within budget, and I'm quite pleased upon initial inspection. I'll be posting a review after I get it broken in a bit, with details on price/where to buy, etc

So here it is:

Last edited:

sonvolt10

Reaction score
Looks good. Can I ask what the source was for the original picture in the 1st post?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks good. Can I ask what the source was for the original picture in the 1st post?

I'll send you a pm. Hesitant to disclose much without trying out the bag for awhile and seeing how it holds up to the daily stress of laptop, binder, etc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics