• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Commissioning my First Briefcase

iherald

Reaction score
Furo, what are the dimensions of your bag? Other than making it a double gusset, did you make any other custom changes? How did you change the inside pocket?

Last edited:

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any updates?  How's it holding up?

The case is holding up quite well, but the chicago screws have a tendency to loosen over time - so I'd recommend keeping a few in the bag in case one pops off and you lose it. They can be tightened easily w/ a screwdriver or even a dime. Ideally, they would stay tight, but I'm not sure how to improve this.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe a little loctite on the screw?

That may actually work. Have you done this with screws that were used on leather? Because I worry about the bond being too tight... to the point of damaging the leather in the future if a screw needs to be loosened (to replace a strap or handle for instance).

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The red loctite loosens up when you heat it to facilitate removal.

Curated

Reaction score
I haven't, but the one side screws into the other on the Chicago screw, correct? I think that this would be less of an issue that if the thread touched the leather. I'd apply the loctite, tighten it the amount you'd like, then leave it. It should stay as intended.

Last edited:

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't, but the one side screws into the other on the Chicago screw, correct?  I think that this would be less of an issue that if the thread touched the leather.  I'd apply the loctite, tighten it the amount you'd like, then leave it.  It should stay as intended.

Yes that's how the screw functions. Sounds like that loctite should do the trick, provided that the bond can be broken down the road without having to rip out both sides of the screw (not sure the heating method would work due to the leather proximity).

SawyerCabinetCo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have yet to try Loctite on the screws on my bags, but it has been my suggestion for those who have asked. I include a few spare screws with each bag and let customers know that the leather will stretch and screws may loosen.

If you are wondering why I prefer the screws over rivets or other fasteners, it goes back to the Henry Ford/Leo Fender(the guitar guy) "interchangeable parts" philosophy first and foremost. If a strap breaks, it is much easier to just unscrew the screw and replace the strap. I also like they way they look, but this is a secondary concern.

I completely understand that it takes a different level of attention on the part of the user to know that you may have to tighten some screws after a few weeks, but this to me is akin to the type of specialized care given to raw denim, cordovan leather shoes, (or any quality leather product for that matter), and on and on. I would be happy to use rivets if a customer requested them, but I also feel that, for whatever it is worth, the Chicago screw set my products apart from others.

I appreciate all the comments, as it helps me to see opportunities for improvement in terms of the design and craft of my products. As I may have stated previously I have only been seriously involved in this craft for a couple of years, so I have much to learn.

Thanks,

Chris Woodhead, builder
The Sawyer Cabinet Co.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads