1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Commissioning my First Briefcase

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by furo, May 10, 2012.

1. furo

furo Senior member

Solid brass. It can be quite shiny depending on the mix and polish/coating used during processing. Here is a solid brass trumpet for comparison:

[​IMG]

However, the brass may have aluminum to strengthen it, although this would not be in the form of an exterior plating.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  2. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

love the case. Definitely want some inside shots.

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Any inside shots forthcoming? Many thanks.

4. furo

furo Senior member

I sent it back to have a pocket removed so will be a couple weeks

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Understood, and congratulations.

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Simply beautiful Furo. Enjoy in good health and thank you for sharing these photos. :slayer:

7. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Definitley seconded - just brass can be a highly lustrous light gold and is very pretty when polished properly. Of course if it isn't lacquered it'll tarnish over time but will age/patinate nicely and can be polished where as lacquered brass tends to look horrid IMHO, plasticy when new and and ages gracelessly.

This is one of our buckles as another example, solid brass thats been polished, no coating/plating etc at all

[​IMG]

Charlie

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  8. lostron

lostron Senior member

one of the best leather pieces i have seen. congrats

9. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

Nice bag. I love my Narragansett, custom enough for my liking and great leather.

10. sonvolt10

sonvolt10 Well-Known Member

Are we ready to disclose the maker of the briefcase?

11. minervau

minervau Senior member

I'm intrigued, I've been thinking about getting a briefcase recently. $400 sounds like a very reasonable price point.

12. mez28

mez28 Active Member

Likewise. Maker would be greatly appreciated.

13. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Nice looking bag.

14. furo

furo Senior member

Pretty soon. My review has been delayed because I sent it back to have a pocket removed from the interior.

15. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I feel like I came to this thread at just the right time.

16. sonvolt10

sonvolt10 Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Why the reluctance to disclose who makes the bag?

With all due respect, what does your review have to do with providing the manufacturer?

17. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I get the feeling he doesn't want to endorse the brand if it doesn't meet the standard. I have no problem with this.

18. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Yes, I respect that.

19. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

20. furo

furo Senior member

Yeah. The case is made by The Sawyer Cabinet Co. The online store is here. It's a small operation out of PA that uses veg tanned bridle leather. Everything is hand made, with no machining involved.

The pluses:
    • Price (very reasonable considering the amount of hand stitching and materials used)
    • Durable construction (solid feel, stitches look great, very few moving pieces to wear down over time)
    • Customization options (easy to work with, great responsiveness to questions, reasonable pricing)
    • Aesthetic (pleasing and simple to the eye, no awkward angles or proportions, subtle yet catchy, distinguishable from any bag I've seen on the market)
    • Shoulder strap comes standard w/ every bag (also made of english bridle, adjustable, and with brass hardware)
    • Hardware (solid brass available along with nickel - and placement of hardware is non obtrusive nor oversized)

Minuses:
    • Veg tanned leather, as it comes, is highly susceptible to water stains (recommend treating this prior to regular use)
    • Used glue in some areas where stitching would be preferred (wrap around straps are double-layered but glued together... as of now the maker does not have a thicker side to work with but will be ordering that in the future, so expect this minus to go away when a thicker strap can be cut, eliminating the need to glue two straps together)
    • Heavy - not a minus for everyone, but when loaded with laptop and other materials, the bag can be burdensome. However, it's no heavier than the SAB cases of this size made of bridle leather

Overall I'd rate this bag a solid 9/10 based on the limited use I've gotten so far. I'll continue to post pics down the road when I feel like it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012