• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Commissioning Custom Wooden Hangers

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
[this is a repeat of the thread posted to the Oxxford Hanger thread] Well, inspired by this thread, I actually tracked down (with the help of GMF) the manufacturer of Oxxford's hangers, Beverly Hanger Company. Working in conjunction with AskAndy (see original thread here), I am commissioning a custom order of their premium hangers. Although I don't frequent Style Forum often, we all share the same love for our clothing and ambition for bargains. To this end, I would like to invite anyone interested to join the order that I'm putting together. The details are still developing, but it looks like we're going to commission a custom order of their premium wooden suit hangers (has a 200 piece minimum). They will be solid maple wood with a walnut finish. They are 1" at the center, flaring out to 2.5" at the ends, and come in widths of 17" and 18.5" (I'll be ordering both). It looks like pricing is going to come out to $11 or $12 per hanger, not including shipping and handling from my door to your's. Take a look at the AA thread if you're interested, and feel free to reach out to me with a private message. Once all details are finalized, I'll ask for a 50% deposit to secure orders. This will enable me to accurately gage how many to order and the correct distribution between the 17" and 18.5". Please let me know what your level of interest. Kirby Below is a picture that will give you a general idea of what the hangers will look like. Pictured is a solid birch hanger with a walnut stain. The shoulders have 2" widths, whereas the one's I'm ordering have 2.5". Also, the maple wood apparently produces a "richer" texture that is grainier than the birch.
79830724-S.jpg

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
c'mon, guys!! we need to hit the minimum order to get these, and kirbya will have a sample to post photos soon. i just put in for ten of them:

wow, nice work kirbya!!

If you're ok with payment via paypal, please put me down for ten of these great hangers. whatever wood you select with a "rich" texture is good with me, as long as they aren't painted black like oxxford's. great find, man! I'm currently working overseas for a while, so whenever you get the details (and you can meet your min order), just give me the word.

Russ

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I think there's a lot of overlap in membership with AAAC. I put in for a few over there. Kirby, kudos for doing the legwork on this, it's a hell of a deal.

new obsession

Reaction score
I am interested, but I am curious. What is the best way to measure to ensure I am properly getting either 17 or 18.5? (My suits and sport coats range from roughly a 42 to roughly a 46.)

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm not sure... I would suggest that you measure your current hangers and see how wide they are. Once I receive my sample today, I'll add some detail to the dimensions of the 18.5", as to enable one to better gage proper measurement.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
I am interested, but I am curious. What is the best way to measure to ensure I am properly getting either 17 or 18.5? (My suits and sport coats range from roughly a 42 to roughly a 46.)
Almost certainly 18.5

nmoraitis

Reaction score
I wear a 36R-38R, so I don't know what size of hanger I would need (any ideas). If one of the above mentioned sizes fit though, I would be in for 5 hangers.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I received the sample of the birch 2" flare 18.5" hanger with a walnut stain. Beautiful. After testing it on my jackets (same size as your's), I believe that the 18.5" would only work for jackets larger than 42". I think it is a toss up in the 40" to 42" range, but definitely not sub-40". Anything equal to or below a 40" jacket needs the 17.5" hanger.

I'll post pictures from the hanger later this afternoon.

Kirby

Originally Posted by nmoraitis
I wear a 36R-38R, so I don't know what size of hanger I would need (any ideas). If one of the above mentioned sizes fit though, I would be in for 5 hangers.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kirbya
I received the sample of the birch 2" flare 18.5" hanger with a walnut stain. Beautiful. After testing it on my jackets (same size as your's), I believe that the 18.5" would only work for jackets larger than 42". I think it is a toss up in the 40" to 42" range, but definitely not sub-40". Anything equal to or below a 40" jacket needs the 17.5" hanger.

I'll post pictures from the hanger later this afternoon.

Kirby

I am in for 5. Please let us know how this is to proceed.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Pictures, pictures, pictures!

The above picture is a link to a slideshow of the sample I received. I'll take some more pictures this evening, this time using a ruler to help illustrate dimensions.

Here are my general thoughts: this is a nice hanger! Certainly nicer than anything currently in my closet. The birch wood isn't very inspiring, but the hangers we're looking to have made will be of maple, which should produce a "richer" texture. The walnut stain is very nice, producing a deep rich brown finish. The gloss finish is nice also; however, what do you all think of a matt finish? I inquired today to see if one of the two hangers currently being produced could be finished in matt so we can compare the finishes.

Sizing: The 18.5" width would be too large for anything smaller than a 40/42R. For jackets smaller than 40R, I would unquestionably recommend the 17" hanger. The sample I should receive in about two weeks will include a 17" hanger, so I'll be able to offer greater insight then. I'll probably take both up to the local mens clothier and try them on different jacket sizes to create definitive sizing guidance.

Flare: GMF has been a little concerned over the 2.5" flare vs. the 2" flare of the sample I received yesterday. The 2" flare is nice, but I think the 2.5" will be nicer. Especially for larger jackets--those probably above 42R--the extra .5" will provide superior support for the shoulder.

If you guys have any questions, please post. I didn't bring the hanger with me (to work
crazy.gif
), but I will be able to answer when I get home. Also, I will post more pictures using a ruler for scaling.

Kirby

tommib

Reaction score
Is there any chance they'd come with the little metal plate on? I'd love to have my surname engraved on them!

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Click here to place your order.

StyleForum Members-

For those of you who frequent AskAndy, you're probably aware of this project we've been working on for two months now. Well, all of the samples have arrived, the votes have been tallied, and we're moving forward with commissioning a custom order of premium, solid-wood suit hangers. Having had the opportunity to hold the hangers myself (and hang my clothes on them
smile.gif
), I can say that they're beautiful. Take a look at the above pictures (click on them for larger pics).

Anyway, you all are, of course, invited to participate. Here are the details, as posted on AA:

----

The order website is up and running (please excuse the URL... had to find a friend to host it). I hope that we can close the books by this Friday. I'm sending Personal Messages to all those who indicated interest.

You'll notice that I've included a "shipping discount" in all orders of 10 or more hangers to reflect the cost savings of shipping larger orders. The order site is optimized for ordering hangers of one size. If you try to split your order into two different sizes you'll be double charged for the repackaging fee. If you would like to split your order, which you are welcome to do, send me a PM and I'll create a custom PayPal order form for you to submit.

Please include your shipping address. Hangers will take approximately 60 days to manufacture and ship to the US. After they are received by the company in California, the order will be split into the respective individual orders, repackaged, and shipped to the address you gave when you submitted your order.

Again, if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to me via e-mail ([email protected]) or a PM.

Kirby

------

Links to prior posts:
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=57937

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads