• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments on on fit/length/color of Odd Vest

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any comments on the fit, length, and color of this odd vest with this suit? I have to wear my pants high up for it to cover the belt area. And obviously I have no tie on, and would maybe wear a white shirt instead. Thoughts?

Also, any guesses on who makes the suit, it's completely unaltered.

2hda6h4.jpg

hurr43.jpg

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your gunna wear a black suit with that?

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit looks good. But to me, the vest looks too casual for that suit. And maybe there's too much vest showing above the jacket's buttoning point? Basically, I don't think the combo works, but both the vest and the suit on their own are good. Maybe the vest would work with tweed?

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the waistcoat, but a pinstripe suit and an odd vest are a difficult, perhaps impossible, combination. I am looking for a similar vest and would pair it with a navy blazer or a sportscoat. In general I only wear vests with braces, because otherwise one needs to constantly pull up the pants. As I've bought some RL stuff from you, I bet the suit is Polo.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jamesgatz
I like the waistcoat, but a pinstripe suit and an odd vest are a difficult, perhaps impossible, combination. I am looking for a similar vest and would pair it with a navy blazer or a sportscoat. In general I only wear vests with braces, because otherwise one needs to constantly pull up the pants. As I've bought some RL stuff from you, I bet the suit is Polo.

Damn, you got it on first guess. It is indeed Polo. I'm a 6'2 size 38, but this is an unaltered 40L, which seems to fit me really well. I thought it being unaltered but fitting so closely would make people guess something else.

Regarding the vest, you don't think it can be done with pinstripes? When you wear vests with braces, do the braces go over the vest?

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit looks very good to me.

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
Damn, you got it on first guess. It is indeed Polo. I'm a 6'2 size 38, but this is an unaltered 40L, which seems to fit me really well. I thought it being unaltered but fitting so closely would make people guess something else.

Regarding the vest, you don't think it can be done with pinstripes? When you wear vests with braces, do the braces go over the vest?

I personally think pin and chalkstripes can only be worn with a vest if it's a 3-piece suit. I prefer brace buttons inside the trouser waistband and vest obviously over the braces. This way there's a smooth line from pants to vest.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jamesgatz
I personally think pin and chalkstripes can only be worn with a vest if it's a 3-piece suit. I prefer brace buttons inside the trouser waistband and vest obviously over the braces. This way there's a smooth line from pants to vest.

I didn't think that through properly with the braces
laugh.gif

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
I have to wear my pants high up for it to cover the belt area.

If you can comfortably pull your pants up, you are probably wearing them too low to begin with. This is fairly common when you are younger and first wearing suits, given today's pants styles.
I will join the chorus who love the suit and the vest but not together.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'd like a shirt that contrasts less with the vest. It's a little warmer than yellow, so it's approaching orange. That means the blue is a complement which makes it stand out. I'd try a white or creme shirt.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I think I'd like a shirt that contrasts less with the vest. It's a little warmer than yellow, so it's approaching orange. That means the blue is a complement which makes it stand out. I'd try a white or creme shirt.

I was planning on trying it on again with a white shirt, I just happened to have the blue one on.

keys

Reaction score
Not a fan of that vest with that ensemble but I do like the fit of the suit very much. Nice waist suppression.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by keys
Not a fan of that vest with that ensemble but I do like the fit of the suit very much. Nice waist suppression.

I feel there's a mite too much waist suppression going on actually. Hrmmm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads