1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Comments on Ascot Chang

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JLA, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ascot Chang is one of Albini's best customers. Thomas mason and D J Anderson fabrics.

They make an excellent shirt.
    I would not order a shirt from them online for the same reasons that things go wrong at jantzen. There saleman/fitters are very well trained.

One of my shirtmakers does repairs for AC in NYC.

Carl

2. Mute

Mute Senior member

From the BH store, you'll get absolutely first class service. I think they do a fantastic job on fit and construction. They are pricey on the better materials, but I don't think it's out of line considering the final product.

3. Alias

Alias Senior member

I went to the AC store in Shanghai while I was on vacation there. Now that they have my measurements I can send faxes no problem.

The manager of that store said AC could make a shirt with my own fabric for about $80, so that's what I'm going to do.

4. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

How is it possible to mention Borrelli and Pink in the same sentence like that? Borrelli is far superior to anything from Pink.

5. atct86

atct86 Senior member

I had a dozen shirts made by Ascot Change last year; since they had a promotion for 50% off for recent college graduates. All the shirts from Thomas Mason Silverline fabric are nearly perfect. The other less expensive fabrics, wrinkle very easy and do not feel/look as nice to me. The fit of the shirts is really good; but i went back for two fittings. I would have to say the best part about the shirts are the collar, and the way they look without a tie. The only bad things were the prices (some were $400). Looking back I should have has another dozen shirts made.

6. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

They are not the most popular on here, but I use La Rukico for my MTM shirts. I'm very happy with the results, and I think they're less expensive than most NYC MTM (work done in HK). I go with Alumo, but he has either Thomas Mason or Albini, I forget which.

7. gomanred

gomanred Member

For the curious, I just got pricing on Shirts from AC.

Alumo 150's -- $2295 HK --$300 USD
    Aumo 170 to 200's getting in the 3395 range. --$440

Bottom line its expensive, but well done. Forget the monogram save $15 USD, want nicer buttons add $26 USD.

May tweak the above numbers a bit after I get my next order

8. pwy95a

pwy95a Senior member

Based on what I've read here, I think you would be better off trying Carl Goldberg (posting here as Shirtmaven). http://www.cego.com/

It sounds like a much more personalised service, with the end product being every bit as good, though with the fit likely being much better.

And, a point not to be overlooked, Cego will far far exceed Chang for fabric choices.

Went and saw Carl Goldberg at CEGO just yesterday. Pleasant experience, and I am excited to see the end results.

If you want the shirts made in NYC, consider visiting Carl. He's a pillar of the US sartorial community, makes a great product (my other bespoke shirts are from Sean O'Flynn in London and Carl's are just as nice) and is more likely to build a relationship with you over the years than an Ascot Chang.

9. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Sorry to necro-post but I had a related question: Will AC do special order shirts based on their stock measurements at closer to RTW prices and w/o a minimum order? Hence, if I saw a regular fit shirt I liked but wanted it in slim, would that still count as bespoke from them?

10. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Sorry to necro-post but I had a related question: Will AC do special order shirts based on their stock measurements at closer to RTW prices and w/o a minimum order? Hence, if I saw a regular fit shirt I liked but wanted it in slim, would that still count as bespoke from them?

Yes, bespoke from them. I asked them that question before and they said they would do slim but it would be bespoke/MTM

11. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Yes, bespoke from them. I asked them that question before and they said they would do slim but it would be bespoke/MTM

Thanks. So I guess I might as well get measured vs. use a stock pattern in that case. Was thinking of them for a tux shirt since my grandfather swore by their shirts for three decades, in fact in retirement he began commissioning polo shirts from them... However online they only have the regular fit. Maybe they'll have a slim version in the BH store.

12. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Thanks. So I guess I might as well get measured vs. use a stock pattern in that case. Was thinking of them for a tux shirt since my grandfather swore by their shirts for three decades, in fact in retirement he began commissioning polo shirts from them... However online they only have the regular fit. Maybe they'll have a slim version in the BH store.

Their prices are cheaper on tour-at least in the NY store.