• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

comments about the buying and selling thread

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totoally agree, we should have some general rules about excessive bumping......
not to name names, but bumping your items 4-5 days in a row every morniing, for all of your items is very annoying.

Originally Posted by LA Guy
As for the excessive bumping, that will be addressed (I am going to post to that effect). I have no problem with a seller posting one item per thread.

coatandthai

Reaction score
I'd also ask what is the point of an "interest check?" I mean, you are either selling or you are not selling.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fatherseanfan
Could we set up a mandatory format for the subject line on sales threads so we know better what things are, and therefore those who only want businesswear would no longer have to check streetwear threads?

posts like "FS: some of my stuff" should not be allowed.

it should be mandatory to post "FS: (type of clothes) (brands)" or something to that effect.

Not going to happen. It's 2 clicks, in and out. Not a big imposition on people. If you want tons of rules, there are other forums out there that. We expect people to be civil, that's all.

Fok.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
Totoally agree, we should have some general rules about excessive bumping......
not to name names, but bumping your items 4-5 days in a row every morniing, for all of your items is very annoying.

Yup, and I posted some general guidelines and have sent some warnings already.

Fok.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Not going to happen. It's 2 clicks, in and out. Not a big imposition on people. If you want tons of rules, there are other forums out there that. We expect people to be civil, that's all.

Fok.

Just curious, but why was the pop-up feature disabled so that all you had to do was put your cursor on a thread and you can read the first few lines of it? I know we used to be able to do it here, and still can at AAAC and Fedora Lounge, which use the same software. I find the feature convenient, and it's easier for me to identify threads that I actually might want to click on. It would seem to address some of the issue you're talking about there. Rather than 2 clicks in and out, it's simply point your cursor.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Just curious, but why was the pop-up feature disabled so that all you had to do was put your cursor on a thread and you can read the first few lines of it? I know we used to be able to do it here, and still can at AAAC and Fedora Lounge, which use the same software. I find the feature convenient, and it's easier for me to identify threads that I actually might want to click on. It would seem to address some of the issue you're talking about there. Rather than 2 clicks in and out, it's simply point your cursor.

Hmmm... I don't know. j. handles all that backend stuff. I'll ask him and get back to you, or he will. This would address a lot of the complaints here, I think.

Fok.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Not gonna happen guys. If you don't want to buy hoodies or jeans, that's fine, no need to look at the threads. It's pretty obvious from the titles what is for sale. There are enough subfora only, and the streetwear and Denim forum was meant to create a space specifically to fill what was a lare demand at the time. The Men's clothing and Streetwear & Denim subfora were not created to segregate the Styleforum community. That discussion is closed. Please respect that.
You say that the "discussion is closed"; would you mind directing me to the actual thread(s) on which this discussion occurred, so that I might read them? I ran a search but did not turn up anything relevant. Thank you.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
You say that the "discussion is closed"; would you mind directing me to the actual thread(s) on which this discussion occurred, so that I might read them? I ran a search but did not turn up anything relevant. Thank you.

There was a short discussion here. You suggested the idea, and another member supported the idea. I discussed why this was not a good idea, and that is not going to happen, and that was all the discussion that was necessary
smile.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
女性の鑑定家 = "Woman Evaluator" (josei no kanteika)

I have that on a tee shirt!

Not to veer off topic - I'd like to say that the moderators do a fantastic job and I've picked up some nice items on this forum.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to add that one of the reasons I really enjoy this forum is that there aren't a ton of rules. I find it pleasant that the moderators take a more 'hands off' approach, if that makes sense.

In regards to buying and selling; I've often posted links to my eBay auctions. I really don't see what's wrong with having a seperate post for each item (especially if different sizes and/or brands are involved). I am also guilty of 'bumping' my posts the day before or day of the auction ending. If someone feels I've overstepped my bounds or taken advantage of the relaxed nature of this forum please feel free to PM me. As long as you're civil, I'll listen to your point of view.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I disabled that because it puts a heavier load on the server - every time a list of threads is put together, the software has to make a query on the first couple lines of each of those threads. When this server was acting slow I disabled that as it doesn't cripple the functionality. When we move to the new server (soon) I will probably re-enable that.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wasn't annoyed by people having multiple threads, or bumping. what seemed to be in bad taste was having multiple threads - such as 4 or 5, and constantly bumping them once or twice a day, such that one seller dominated 4 or 5 spots in the top 20-25. going that far seemed to be in bad taste.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think we are talking about the same recent seller.....it just makes me feel the seller is trying to push his crap onto us, even no one showed interest in the first couple of bumps

Originally Posted by NoVaguy
i wasn't annoyed by people having multiple threads, or bumping. what seemed to be in bad taste was having multiple threads - such as 4 or 5, and constantly bumping them once or twice a day, such that one seller dominated 4 or 5 spots in the top 20-25. going that far seemed to be in bad taste.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in general the buysell forum here moves far slower than most other sites I frequent. I have no problem with the level of multiple threads or bumping here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads