• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coming Soon: Standing Room Air Travels

mussel

Reaction score
Air travels can't get any worse, now Airbus is pushing standing rooms on airlines!

0425-biz-webSEATch.jpg

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those harnesses for the SRO passengers?

I think it could work for bare bones, short haul flights. Not something I'd want to do though. They look like amusement park rides. Like Top Gun or something.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Are those harnesses for the SRO passengers?

I think it could work for bare bones, short haul flights. Not something I'd want to do though. They look like amusement park rides. Like Top Gun or something.

Yes those are harnesses; apparently, there are no FAA regulations about passengers needing to be seated, but they must be secured.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
^^^ Well, maybe then
biggrin.gif

I've always wondered why air travel is such a different experience from any other form. I was hoping someone had proposed standing-room seats in the sense that you walk up to the counter, buy your ticket like a bus or train, and get on the plane. Air travel needs to be rationalized and all players need to have federal funding cut off.

Tom

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
... and how are children supposed to be harnessed?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
^^^ Well, maybe then
biggrin.gif

I've always wondered why air travel is such a different experience from any other form. I was hoping someone had proposed standing-room seats in the sense that you walk up to the counter, buy your ticket like a bus or train, and get on the plane. Air travel needs to be rationalized and all players need to have federal funding cut off.

Tom

Tom, part of the issue is the huge cost of the flight. buses and trains run empty every now and again. although I have been on empty flights - this represents a huge expense to the airline. I am guessing that one flight that is half empty can eat up the profits from 5 or more flights that are full. and, if you are competing with a half dozen other lines on a route, then you can't plan easily how many people will walk up and buy a ticket.

that said - I do think that airlines don't opperate as well as they should

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd take one of those SRO spots, but it would have to be very cheap, like $50-$75 round trip NY to Chicago. But honestly, I don't see this idea, uh, flying. ; )

Apparently airlines have done a good job with filling planes recently, so much so that employees are having a hard time flying for free. There was an interesting article in one of the papers on this a few weeks ago.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SRO concept is ridiculous...I would rather have a Lying Room Only concept, where you are put into cubbies a-la Japanese business hotel. At least, this way you are lying down, not standing.

Jon.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I miss the bar/lounges that used to be more common in planes.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Virgin Atlantic has onboard bars. Great idea. What carriers used to have them?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
SRO concept is ridiculous...I would rather have a Lying Room Only concept, where you are put into cubbies a-la Japanese business hotel. At least, this way you are lying down, not standing.

Jon.

I honestly don't know if this is true or not - but my father told me that when they flew him to korea in the korean war, they stacked them in the planes - basically lieing down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads