• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Coming Soon: Standing Room Air Travels

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
Are those harnesses for the SRO passengers?

I think it could work for bare bones, short haul flights. Not something I'd want to do though. They look like amusement park rides. Like Top Gun or something.
 

GreyFlannelMan

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2004
Messages
824
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by whoopee
Are those harnesses for the SRO passengers?

I think it could work for bare bones, short haul flights. Not something I'd want to do though. They look like amusement park rides. Like Top Gun or something.


Yes those are harnesses; apparently, there are no FAA regulations about passengers needing to be seated, but they must be secured.
 

tiger02

Militarist
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
3,798
Reaction score
2
^^^ Well, maybe then


I've always wondered why air travel is such a different experience from any other form. I was hoping someone had proposed standing-room seats in the sense that you walk up to the counter, buy your ticket like a bus or train, and get on the plane. Air travel needs to be rationalized and all players need to have federal funding cut off.

Tom
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
21,161
Reaction score
1,752
... and how are children supposed to be harnessed?
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,606
Reaction score
414
Originally Posted by tiger02
^^^ Well, maybe then


I've always wondered why air travel is such a different experience from any other form. I was hoping someone had proposed standing-room seats in the sense that you walk up to the counter, buy your ticket like a bus or train, and get on the plane. Air travel needs to be rationalized and all players need to have federal funding cut off.

Tom


Tom, part of the issue is the huge cost of the flight. buses and trains run empty every now and again. although I have been on empty flights - this represents a huge expense to the airline. I am guessing that one flight that is half empty can eat up the profits from 5 or more flights that are full. and, if you are competing with a half dozen other lines on a route, then you can't plan easily how many people will walk up and buy a ticket.

that said - I do think that airlines don't opperate as well as they should
 

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 5, 2004
Messages
10,448
Reaction score
75
I'd take one of those SRO spots, but it would have to be very cheap, like $50-$75 round trip NY to Chicago. But honestly, I don't see this idea, uh, flying. ; )

Apparently airlines have done a good job with filling planes recently, so much so that employees are having a hard time flying for free. There was an interesting article in one of the papers on this a few weeks ago.
 

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
20,007
Reaction score
102
SRO concept is ridiculous...I would rather have a Lying Room Only concept, where you are put into cubbies a-la Japanese business hotel. At least, this way you are lying down, not standing.

Jon.
 

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
14,381
Reaction score
2,076
I miss the bar/lounges that used to be more common in planes.
 

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
Virgin Atlantic has onboard bars. Great idea. What carriers used to have them?
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,606
Reaction score
414
Originally Posted by imageWIS
SRO concept is ridiculous...I would rather have a Lying Room Only concept, where you are put into cubbies a-la Japanese business hotel. At least, this way you are lying down, not standing.

Jon.



I honestly don't know if this is true or not - but my father told me that when they flew him to korea in the korean war, they stacked them in the planes - basically lieing down.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

  • JW Anderson x Uniqlo

  • Nigo x Virgil Abloh

  • Converse x Midnight Studios

  • Rick Owens x Champion

  • Barbour x Engineered Garments

  • Adidas x Bed JW Ford

  • Jordan Brand x Dior

  • Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

  • Lego x Levi's


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
446,328
Messages
9,651,563
Members
201,686
Latest member
ultraketoburnx
Top