• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comically short jacket sleeves from Indochino

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by butterflystyle
Threads like this make me wonder why ANYONE would subject themselves to internet MTM.

Because when MTM goes wrong, you see these threads. When it is done right and the measurements are spot-on, nobody complains. I'm perfectly happy with my internet MTM shirts.

Enema

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Dude, you'd know better than us if they can be extended. Check inside the sleeve for extra material. Or take it to an alterations tailor.

Usually there is an extra inch and the tailor to top extent in one side, for the other the extra fabric from the trousers is needed. That works for me.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
If both the shirt's and the jacket's armholes are high enough you will not have the sleeves riding up your arms. That's the beauty of MTM/bespoke/lucky RTW.

A jacket's sleeves will always ride up a certain amount when the arm is bent, there is no way that high arm-holes or any amount of bespoke tailoring can prevent that.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
A jacket's sleeves will always ride up a certain amount when the arm is bent, there is no way that high arm-holes or any amount of bespoke tailoring can prevent that.

Of course, but there's acceptable and unacceptable levels. I have jackets with lower and higher armholes. There's a huge difference!

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record, I am very happy with this jacket and the price ($179 Groupon)
The only problem is the sleeve length. I'll see how much the tailor can let out.
Otherwise, I remake. Win/win.

When the arms are bent, the jacket sleeves will ride up a lot more than the shirt sleeves since there is so much more slack in the latter.
So, I think the key is to have the sleeve land at the wrist hinge, and not above.
Maybe just show a sliver of cuff, if that, when the arms are relaxed.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Here's an example of a suit with very high armholes. The picture is from a WAYWRN post. You can see that when I cross my arms the sleeves only ride up a little. Of course, french cuffs kind of help here, but this suit behaves similarly with any type of shirt underneath. Even if I'm driving with the jacket on, only 3 inches or so are exposed. I know that when I drive in another jacket of mine, I get at least 6 inches of shirt exposure. All I'm saying is that while the problem will never go away, it can be minimized with careful tailoring.
kPxIa.jpg

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reev, those sleeves appear to fall way above your wrist bone. The execution (either in your measurements or their manufacture) is the problem, not the place you measured from.
Are the PJs MTM as well?

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
For the record, I am very happy with this jacket and the price ($179 Groupon)
The only problem is the sleeve length. I'll see how much the tailor can let out.
Otherwise, I remake. Win/win.

When the arms are bent, the jacket sleeves will ride up a lot more than the shirt sleeves since there is so much more slack in the latter.
So, I think the key is to have the sleeve land at the wrist hinge, and not above.
Maybe just show a sliver of cuff, if that, when the arms are relaxed.

Bi-winning?

carolbrown

Reaction score
Received my black mod suit with shirt, tie and accessories a couple of days ago. I'm pretty satisfied with everything, from quality, service and delivery. The material is quite nice, a slight sheen like wool should and a LOT better than my previous poly blend. I'm pretty confident this in 100% wool.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Of course, but there's acceptable and unacceptable levels. Here's an example of a suit with very high armholes. The picture is from a WAYWRN post. You can see that when I cross my arms the sleeves only ride up a little
Yes, I agree that the amount of riding up in the Indochino is abnormally large, but I also don't think the heigh of the arm-hole would make a lot of difference in this case. It may reduce how much the sleeves ride up when angling your arms away from your body such as when reaching for something, or putting your arms up on your desk as in Reevolving's second picture, but not when crossing your arms in-front of your body or standing straight as in his first. I don't think this is a tailoring or 'high arm-holes' issue, I think it's just a measurement issue and the arms are just much shorter than they should be...
Originally Posted by Reevolving
This is why I get my shirts sleeves made with no slack, so they will ride up the same amount as the jacket sleeves.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I took a few more pictures. Any feedback about sleeves and the length of the jacket? The hands are indicating where the buttock edge meets the leg. How much would you add to the sleeve? Also, notice the lapel roll on this jacket....
11tbip1.jpg
2utkgzp.jpg

asdf

Reaction score
that breast pocket looks bizarre. seems 2-3 inches low.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like it's off almost everywhere, but I can't really put my finger down on what's wrong. Good luck figuring it out. I really think photos showing your neck too would help a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads