• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfy modern-ish living room recliners? Eames/Ekornes/etc?

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
200806191302.jpg

After a good six months of consideration, finally broke down and picked one up.

The chair makes me
smile.gif

The price made me
ffffuuuu.gif

nightrune

Reaction score
i want one upholstered in a grey wool. congrats on the purchase!

i've also been thinking about this but i've cracked my philippe starck ghost chairs so this may not be a good idea.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nightrune
i want one upholstered in a grey wool. congrats on the purchase!

i've also been thinking about this but i've cracked my philippe starck ghost chairs so this may not be a good idea.

I was thinking herringbone or some sort of tweed. I just plan on getting one where the cushions are completely shot and doing it.

nightrune

Reaction score
^herringbone sounds great. what kind of tweed? can you do a donegal in upholstery too? my father will probably give me his when he transfers into his newly built french traditional home so i've got a few mcm pieces and also modern from the 70's coming my way.

in the meantime i want this lofty chaise lounge from mdf italia. i wonder if it's derivative of something. would anyone know? how is the quality of mdf italia?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
200806191302.jpg

After a good six months of consideration, finally broke down and picked one up.

The chair makes me
smile.gif

The price made me
ffffuuuu.gif

Nice. There's a guy selling one here for $1300. Original, not a repro, but needs reupholstering. Trying to convince my wife (and myself) that's in our budget
smile.gif

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Nice. There's a guy selling one here for $1300. Original, not a repro, but needs reupholstering. Trying to convince my wife (and myself) that's in our budget
smile.gif

If it is an original, at 1300 it's a STEAL! in my experience though, if you're trying to keep it original, the refurb will cost at least that much again. totally worth it though.

I just recently bought an original florence knoll sofa that needs refurb but it's in decent enough shape that I decided to live with it until the funds make themselves available for a proper restoration. if this chair is in that sort of livable shape i would jump on it! restore later.

Yo-han

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
eames, knoll etc prices in the US makes me
ffffuuuu.gif

lol, US prices for eames stuff is around half of what you pay in europe, a new lounge chair + ottoman would run me around $8000 over here..

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yo-han
lol, US prices for eames stuff is around half of what you pay in europe, a new lounge chair + ottoman would run me around $8000 over here..

no joke huh? and with the way people run on and on around here about the perceived quality and value of a $600 windbreaker or a $200 sweatshirt, you'd think that furniture would fall in line accordingly.

v0rtex

Reaction score
smile.gif

Alfie Hume (humemodern.com) did an incredible job with restoring my trashed Craigslisted Eames lounge. Cost around $1,000 to have all the panels completely refinished, drill holes (!) filled in, new shockmounts fitted, shipping, etc. Also used a company called Creative Colors International who specialize in leather repair who restored the scratches and fading on the leather really well. Cost about $200 for them to come and spend the morning meticulously sanding, airbrushing and polishing. They claim to be able to restore cuts, holes, slashes, etc - if your upholstery is sound but just has holes (ie. not rotting away) you may be able to get it restored pretty cheap. Edit: Chair is worth every penny. It's comfortable as hell (I'm 6'6" so was wondering if it would be too small. It's not.), looks awesome and will hold it's value.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by v0rtex
Alfie Hume (humemodern.com) did an incredible job with restoring my trashed Craigslisted Eames lounge. Cost around $1,000 to have all the panels completely refinished, drill holes (!) filled in, new shockmounts fitted, shipping, etc.

Je-Zus! this thing is awesome!

redLounge.jpg

Apparently they replaced the sown fill pads and retained the original leather. that's something I'd kill for since the patina on the original leather is why i love the classic chairs SO much. it's like the perfect baseball glove.

for $1000 that is a job VERY well done. IMO

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, I didn't buy it
smile.gif

Do it man!

I'm very happy with the purchase three weeks on.

My mother saw a picture of the Eames, and said "ah, just like a la-z-boy!"
ffffuuuu.gif

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Where's the best place to buy a repo Eames?

I noticed Amazon.com has one but they want $4,500 for it.....
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads