• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfy modern-ish living room recliners? Eames/Ekornes/etc?

Riley Dee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I've always liked the LC4 but I don't know if I have the room for one, nor if it would be good for laptop work. I am 6' and the reason I can't stand my Ekornes is that it forces my head and shoulders forward. So I guess I'll make a mission to find an Eames chair and some of these others to try out sometime. I have a really awful back so I can't afford to sit in something that's going to make me suffer.

I have worked for a higher-end Danish furniture store (www.DaneDesign.com) for 10 years, I am curious which Ekornes chair you have, and more importantly what size? The Ekornes chairs are made in a small, medium, and large size. Having the right size is important. If the chair is to small your head bobbles like a bobble head doll and if it is too large your head and shoulders will be pushed forward. Size really matters with Ekornes chairs.

Additionally, many Ekornes chairs have adjustable height headrests i.e. the headrests can be raised and lowered. Is your style one the adjustable height headrest models? Also, please tell me you we shown how to release the headrest so that it lays completely back in a full reclining posistion. If not, I think that adjusting the headreast back might help your fit and more importantly, make your chair a bit more comfortable.

If you want to how to release the head rest feel free to pm me.

Riley Dee

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Riley Dee
I have worked for a higher-end Danish furniture store (www.DaneDesign.com) for 10 years, I am curious which Ekornes chair you have, and more importantly what size? The Ekornes chairs are made in a small, medium, and large size. Having the right size is important. If the chair is to small your head bobbles like a bobble head doll and if it is too large your head and shoulders will be pushed forward. Size really matters with Ekornes chairs.

Additionally, many Ekornes chairs have adjustable height headrests i.e. the headrests can be raised and lowered. Is your style one the adjustable height headrest models? Also, please tell me you we shown how to release the headrest so that it lays completely back in a full reclining posistion. If not, I think that adjusting the headreast back might help your fit and more importantly, make your chair a bit more comfortable.

If you want to how to release the head rest feel free to pm me.

Riley Dee

I got it off of craigslist so I didn't have any say in the matter of size etc. I can't find a tag underneath it, but I think it is this one, the Royal: http://www.ekornes.com/us/stressless...ssless_-royal/ It doesn't seem to have any adjustability and the problem I have with it is that the headrest is too high, I think. I must have an XL sized one. Also, it's an ugly one, although most Ekornes are ugly IMO. Thanks for the input though, I appreciate some expertise. I'm probably going to sell the chair though, since I don't really have room for two recliners with ottomans, and again, it's ugly.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'm 6'2" too and frankly could not tell how many evenings I've spent in this chair watching movies - probably 100... Always found it extremely comfortable, way more than a plush sofa.

I love the Le Corbusier chaise longue but I think it's best used when fully reclined and don't particularly like sitting in it when it's upright. Best chaise longue ever for a rest or nap IMO

I agree, I love the Eames chair.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83

Wow - a ghost just appeared to me! zip, good to see you around here again

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome back! Where you been?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Welcome back good sir.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
another vote for the eames chair AND ottoman. Have got an original myself and I must say that without the ottoman it isnt that comfortable, with it and I cannot count the hours that I have read/slept in it.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did a search on this thread and did find any mention of Hans Wagner's Papa Bear Chair:

0116a.jpg

It's easily the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I did a search on this thread and did find any mention of Hans Wagner's Papa Bear Chair:

0116a.jpg

It's easily the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in.

Probably not mentioned due to the fact that it isn't a recliner.
smile.gif

Plus... it looks kinda fugly.
smile.gif

catsndogs20

Reaction score
I have been doing a bit of drooling over the original Eames chair but it's definitely not in my price range at the moment.

Elle Decor had a gorgeous advertisement for the new Ekorne Jazz Stressless lounge chair. Once again, I need to either win the lottery or find a sugar daddy!

I think that some of the Ekorne chairs are quite nice but I don't think I'm not sure I want to buy it from ebay. I'd rather get some good advice from Riley Dee and buy one online.
smile.gif

joshuacc

Reaction score
I bought a white eames knockoff. It's the most uncomfortable pos I've ever owned. Wish I would have splurged on an original. I find them very comfortable, just a little out of my 25 year old budget.

CHenry

Reaction score
I have tried a few of the chairs mentioned. I wanted to buy the Eames lounge chair but changed my mind when I actually sat in one. It has a movement limited to swiveling and there is no adjustability in the seat-back angle, and of course, no tilt either. The aluminum group lounge chair offers tilt and while the seat angle doesn't change, I found it more comfortable, and so bought that instead.

By far, the Ekornes lounge chairs offer more positioning options with an adjustable seat angle. I bought the Vegas model which has a full upholstered arm (like the Eames lounge), but with far more adjustability than any Eames chair. It doesn't have the iconic quality of the Eames (or the price tag) but it is streets ahead in comfort. The Ekornes really is capable of putting you in a "floating" position, which is especially nice.

SystemShock

Reaction score
I'd have to second all the Ekornes/Stressless recommendations. Their stuff really is 'all that' in terms of comfort.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads