• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfy brogues? Trickers?

KPaul

Reaction score
I'm searching for a comfy pair of brogues. I'd really like a pair of Trickers (Bourtons or maybe the Stow) but, having tried on a pair, I'm quite nervous about how comfy they will become. This is of particular concern because I often like to walk to and from the train station, which is about a mile walk each way.

My concerns are based partly on the rigidity of the Trickers: will they ever break in so that they are as comfy as say my RM Williams boots or Church Oxfords? Or is the double sole of a country shoe/boot always going to be tougher going? I do have a pair of C&J Coniston boots, with a Dainite sole, and these have been fine.

Also, I do have a pair of cheap Loakes brogues but they're unwearable (a serious vamp crease bite). I've put this down to poor quality leather and, so I was told by a C&J salesman, because the shoe might be too voluminous for my flat feet. I suppose that experience has made me wary of trying again.

I did see that Grenson do a single soled light brogue but the quality doesn't look as nice and it's not in the lovely acorn colour of the Trickers.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
Many thanks!

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double sole does take a little bit longer to break in. Seen as you already have the Coniston, why not go for a pair of C&J Pembroke? I Just got a pair and they're fantastic.

Stanley the 2nd

Reaction score
Trickers are a definite step up from Loake in terms of quality. I called into the Trickers store on Jermyn Street a couple of months back and brought a pair of city brogues in their sale. They were comfortable enough to wear walking around London for the remainder of the day and have taken very little breaking in. The shoes had a single sole but the salesman did comment that the double sole shoes do take a bit of breaking in! Trickers are known for quite a bit of arch support which I found nice once I got used to it.

These shoes replaced a pair of Loake brogues (202 on a wide fit) which I couldn't face getting resoled! A comfortable enough shoe but the leather was more like plastic and did give me a few blisters still years after being broken in. Trickers are more expensive but the leather quality is much better and they are a better investment.

bbhewee

Reaction score
There should be options for the Stow or Bourtons to come with a Dainite sole. If it's not a stock option I think Richard at the Shoe Healer will accommodate you.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The country shoes do grow comfortable ... but the break-in period is longer.

To me the greatest advantage of country shoes ...
when wearing them one never needs to resort to a line as follows:
"In these shoes? I don't think so."

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to try them on. There is no way around it.

KPaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jchosko
I've got the Tricker's Stow brogue boot, and they're the most comfortable non-sneaker I own. I could easily walk a mile in them each day.

Well, that's certainly very good to hear! As are the other comments and suggestions, for which I'm most grateful.

I did try to contact Shoe Healer but he has been out at a country show. I should get to chat with him next week. I reckon I'll either just take the plunge on the regular double sole and trust that they'll break in nicely or get a commando/dainite sole on 'em.

@Ich Dien: I do like those but esp keen on the slightly wacky acorn of the Trickers!

@RSS: The wonderful Kirsty! What a voice.

@bbhewee: They only come with the regular double sole. You can custom order at signif extra expense or Richard can do it, as you v helpfully point out.

Thanks again everyone - really helpful!
Paul

CMD.EXE

Reaction score
They were some of my first shoes. They are a bit stiff compared to the rest of my shoes.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Stows are very comfortable for a few miles of walking, certainly as comfortable as any shoe I own short of my Alden Ultimate Indy's, which I wore to climb Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa a few weeks back.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mine are comfortable but realize that they're made big like boots since it's expected that you'll wear heavy socks with them. I'm not sure if I should size down half next time because the overall fit seems right just there's too much heel slippage.

KPaul

Reaction score
Just to update this...

Tried on the Stow and the Bourton yesterday (UK 8's with 5 widths, in Oxford's covered market) and the heel lift I experienced in Jermyn St was far less noticeable. I'm not sure why there would be a difference (same type of socks as before); maybe it was how tightly they were done up? Anyway, it was very clear this time that the Bourton last is wider and higher in the vamp than the boot.

The boots fitted snugly around the rear half of the foot and had the right length. The salesman did them up really quite tightly to start with and it felt like I was walking with blocks of wood on my feet. I loosened them up, especially higher up the boot, and they were great.

The shoes were immediately more comfortable, mostly down to the lighter weight and wider fit. However, my feet moved around a bit more - not a massive amount but there was wiggle room. I think both would be OK and the leather really was very good (no more worries about biting creases, etc).

I can confirm that UK8 in both equates closely to UK8.5 E in C&J Coniston and probably a US 9 rather than 9.5.

Thanks,
KPaul

bbhewee

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics