• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Comfortable, quality brogues

JeSuisNick

Reaction score
Hi all,

After years of buying cheap-ish, high-street shoes which rub through my socks, never really bed in, and then need replacing after a year or two, I have decided to start investing in good quality shoes which will be comfortable, last a long time, and can be re-soled/heeled as required.

I've been looking at tan brogues (good for work, casual, weddings etc), and I think I've narrowed it down to something from Loake's 1880 range or Barker. I'm lucky enough to have a family-owned traditional shoe shop in my village which stocks both of these, and I would like to support a local shop rather than buying online, if I can. I'm willing to pay for quality, but I have ruled out brands such as Church's which are £400-£500 as that is a bit excessive for the use I would get. But £200-£250 would be fine. I'd like leather soled.

Does anyone have experience of these brands, or similar? I usually get the most discomfort from cheap shoes when they rub at the back of my ankle, so something with soft or padded leather at the back would be perfect. I'd also like something that I could wear comfortably for a day out walking round a city - I'd currently wear trainers for comfort but sometimes I don't want to look completely scruffy!

Attached are a couple of images of the kind of style I like.

Thanks in advance, any advice/recommendations appreciated!!

Attachments

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.