• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfortable Non-Sneaker Walking Shoes

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by david123
No listen to the previous poster: go to the web site and call or email their shoe banks. They are really nice and will probably even send you a spreadsheet of what is available. They will likely be discounted in the Nordstrom sale based on past experience, but are a lot cheaper from the shoe bank.

That's right. CALL the ShoeBank (you can find the number by googling, and I'm sure it's easy to find on SF or Ask Andy. Tell them what you're looking for and your size. They can probably suggest several models (I recommend the Wilberts for walking (solid goodyear-welted shoes on the 1 last), but they probable have some options for you. Very comfortable. And they'll last. Clarks are semi-disposable and offer little in the way of support. I like wearing the Clarks around the neighborhood, but for serious walking I put on my Wilberts.

The ShoeBank sells factory seconds and closeouts (you might score Wilberts that are factory firsts but a discontinued color, for example). The seconds carry minimal risk, since you can return them if you decide the flaw bothers you. Most people can't ever figure out what the flaw is, let alone decide it bothers them. I've bought seconds with no detectable flaw (wearing them now) and a pair with a huge flaw, that I returned. They even gave me free shipping on the return. Oh, and the folks at the Shoebank are super nice.

Those Peal DBs are nice, by the way, and I'm sure they'll last longer than the Clarks. Still, they don't offer the performance of something like Wilberts. I have heard good things about Rockports, but I have no experience with them, and I prefer proper welted shoes (made in Wisconsin!) to rubber Chinese gear any day.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom's are casual and comfy and helps kids.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Crepe soles/sneakers or bust. There is NO such thing as a leather soled walking shoes. Terrible on your feet.

Desert boots have crepe soles. So do some of the more recent Aldens.

AlexWb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevent
Tom's are casual and comfy and helps kids.
TOMS rip after 10 miles, and is a useless company that gives free, low-quality shoes, to people that actually need money, running water, etc. I hate companies that try to do this. You're better off donating money directly to an organization. I owned a pair of their shoes, and I highly regret it. I went ahead and bought $25 Espadrilles from Soludos. They are not only more unique, but lighter and also more durable. OP, whatever you do... don't buy espadrilles. Those will not last for long walking
smile.gif

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The original Toms don't last but I've heard good things about the boots and cordones? I think they are called.

An Ex Parrot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by newyork20
I strongly support getting Dr. Scholl's even if the shoe is comfortable it will make it a million times more comfortable. Especially if you'll be doing lots of walking.
Query: I've tried the Dr Scholl's gel pads. Like the feel, but they are so thick they make my shoes too tight. Am I doing something wrong? Thoughts? And I may pick me up a pair o' them spiffy Wilberts. AEP

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by An Ex Parrot
Query: I've tried the Dr Scholl's gel pads. Like the feel, but they are so thick they make my shoes too tight. Am I doing something wrong? Thoughts?

And I may pick me up a pair o' them spiffy Wilberts.

AEP

The wilberts have a touch of padding of some sort, I think, sandwiched under the leather insole. Plus the #1 last is a little roomy by design perhaps to make thicker casual socks more doable than with AE's other lasts. That might mean that Dr. Scholls will work well. By the way, I've never heard of people having issues with the #1 last the way they do with, say, the #5 that's used with the Park Avenues. Perhaps that slight roominess makes them more forgiving of different foot shapes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads