• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfortable leather sole shoes?

Kasper

Reaction score
I currently wear Bostonian 2pod shoes on a daily basis. I find these to be very comfortable for my extended work day but now after reading the forum for a couple weeks I am getting a little insecure about wearing rubber sole shoes so frequently. Can anyone recommend shoes that are as comfortable as Bostonian but with leather soles and around $100?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Unless you're looking at sales, ebay or used, I don't think there is anything recommendable with a leather sole around $100.

For regularly-available shoes, the Charles Tyrwhitt Loakes at the everlasting 50% off sale are the only thing I can think of around that price range. And mine don't really fit right, so I can't speak to their comfort.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Unless you're looking at sales, ebay or used, I don't think there is anything recommendable with a leather sole around $100.

For regularly-available shoes, the Charles Tyrwhitt Loakes at the everlasting 50% off sale are the only thing I can think of around that price range. And mine don't really fit right, so I can't speak to their comfort.

I already thought I would have to increase my budget a little. Some of the models I saw on the CT website were nice but they don't look like they have much support. Do any of these better shoe makers offer something like 2pod? I could always put some kind of insert in the shoe but I imagine that changes the sizing when ordering online.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kasper
I already thought I would have to increase my budget a little. Some of the models I saw on the CT website were nice but they don't look like they have much support. Do any of these better shoe makers offer something like 2pod? I could always put some kind of insert in the shoe but I imagine that changes the sizing when ordering online.
I don't know what 2pod is. When I got my CT boots they were about 1/2 size too big, so I put an insole in them that added arch support to tighten them up. I guess you could do that. I don't know of any regular dress shoes that are well known for their arch support, but I'm sure someone can point you to some.

coachvu

Reaction score
I currently wear Bostonian 2pod shoes on a daily basis. I find these to be very comfortable for my extended work day but now after reading the forum for a couple weeks I am getting a little insecure about wearing rubber sole shoes so frequently. Can anyone recommend shoes that are as comfortable as Bostonian but with leather soles and around $100?

I think Allen Edmonds with leather soles are very comfortable. You can find them for not much more than $100 on STP and from their eBay store.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
I think Allen Edmonds with leather soles are very comfortable. You can find them for not much more than $100 on STP and from their eBay store.

I looked at some Allen Edmonds and liked the styles, they didn't look too much different than my Bostonians. They were online so I wasn't able to try them out.

J, do you think if you spend the money on a nice pair of shoes that it's ok to put your own inserts in them? I just feel like if I'm spending over my budget I want everything to be original. Is it possible to stick the inserts under the leather lining?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I looked at some Allen Edmonds and liked the styles, they didn't look too much different than my Bostonians. They were online so I wasn't able to try them out.

J, do you think if you spend the money on a nice pair of shoes that it's ok to put your own inserts in them? I just feel like if I'm spending over my budget I want everything to be original. Is it possible to stick the inserts under the leather lining?

Of course it's okay to do whatever you want with your shoes
smile.gif
In fact, putting inserts in can help keep the original lining looking nice. I don't know about putting inserts under the original lining, but you can get better insoles from A-E and Tacco among others, or you could talk to your cobbler about having some that you like covered in thin leather to make them look more "stock". Here is another option:

http://www.footsmart.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=96

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a thread over at that other forum about which pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes are the most comfortable. Here's the link:

Most Comfortable Allen Edmonds

I hope this helps.

Kasper

Reaction score
J, those insoles in the link you posted looks a lot better than Dr. Scholls. If I get a pair of AEs I will look into a cobbler putting the insoles under the lining, I guess it shouldn't cost that much.

Odoreater, that link to the other forum is really helpful. I will try to see if any of the models mentioned are at STP.

What about Ecco? One of my clients commented that they are really comfortable but I cannot seem to find any with leather soles.

Thanks again.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might mention that some very nice leather-soled Allen-Edmonds shoes are currently available on closeout from the outlet stores for $129. I just got the Harrison plain-toe blucher in brown at that price. I also got the York boot in brown for $109. Bargains in closeouts can be very commonly had from the Allen-Edmonds outlet stores. I have actually gotten leather soled A-E dress shoes from the Cabazon, CA outlet for as little as $79 (althought this price is uncommon). You might visit the Allen-Edmonds website to see if there is one near you. Otherwise, if you are quite familiar with the Allen-Edmonds lasts and how they fit on you, you can probably order from afar with reasonable confidence. I just went this route for the first time, and it worked out fine.

Kasper

Reaction score
JLibourel,

I looked at the AE website now to check locations. I am in North Carolina every other month. Have you ever been to the outlet there? Sometimes I find it hard to tell if a shoe will be comfortable even when I try it on in the store so ordering online makes me a little apprehensive. I saw that you started that other thread on Ask Andy, do you have any experience with Bostonian shoes? I think their 2pod models are the most comfortable I have worn and some of them don't look too bad either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics