• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfortable English Shoes for £150

pred02

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in a market for a pair of English made, comfortable, brown pair of work shoes. I was originally looking at Oxfords style but I am open to other suggestions. The budget is £150, English made, Goodyear welded.

I originally tried Loake 1880 Aldywitch but found them a bit still. I went to Russel & Bromley and tried a pair of Mayfair brown shoes which felt a bit more comfortable and also stylish. However, I have no insight on R&B nor the quality of the shoes they sell or where they are made, Goodyear welded etc. and also cannot find any information online.

I am also considering Barker however I have not found their store in my vicinity. As I travel a lot durability is also important as is the quality.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks

juniper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pred02
Hi,

I am in a market for a pair of English made, comfortable, brown pair of work shoes. I was originally looking at Oxfords style but I am open to other suggestions. The budget is £150, English made, Goodyear welded.

I originally tried Loake 1880 Aldywitch but found them a bit still.

You found them stiff trying them on, or you bought them? You should expect it to take a few wearings, and some discomfort to break in a pair of good shoes...

Reaction score
If you can get to Bicester Village you should be able to pick up some Church's for, er, slightly over budget (~£160 + shoe trees if required).

Herring shoes have a large selection within budget from Loake, Barker and their own range - if it were me I'd be looking at their own range as rumour has it that, despite being made by other manufacturers, they are better than the manufacturers' ranges. That is just a rumour though, no idea if there's any truth to it.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd also second Herring, great company with a good selection. If you can get something in their sale then even better.

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GrumbleGrumble
If you can get to Bicester Village you should be able to pick up some Church's for, er, slightly over budget (~£160 + shoe trees if required).

You get Church's for £150 at Bicester Village, I have in the past; however, it depends on your luck. On one trip I found two black oxfords's in my size and on the next two occasions, nothing.

Originally Posted by pred02
I am also considering Barker however I have not found their store in my vicinity. As I travel a lot durability is also important as is the quality.

My first proper black oxfords, were a pair black cap-toe Barker's - purchased for £115, lasted 3.5 years and besides the cost of Kiwi polish and the only other cost was replacing shoe laces twice.

However, you can find Cheaney's made for other brands for that money, especially during a sale. In addition, with Church's at Bicester Village or Austin Reed (during the sales), it is worth spending the extra £20-40 more for a much better pair of shoes.

pred02

Reaction score
You get Church's for £150 at Bicester Village, I have in the past; however, it depends on your luck. On one trip I found two black oxfords's in my size and on the next two occasions, nothing.
Is this better or worse than the Nortampton outlet? Which one is more worth the visit?

pred02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
I'd also second Herring, great company with a good selection. If you can get something in their sale then even better.

I am looking into the Herring's Knightsbridge shoes in chestnut brown. I believe these are identical to the Loake Aldywich shoes however they are a classic model so I doubt they go on sale.

Any similar should that you can recommend on the discount?

Thanks

AE7

Reaction score
check the shoehealer.co.uk - they have really nice prices and stocks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads