• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfortable Business Casual Shoe Advice

jithu9684

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
Starting to do some more business travel again. Looking for an extremely comfortable pair of shoes that I can use to meet a couple of requirements:
  1. Be very comfortable. I have 'nice' pairs of shoes, including several AE's, but I find after a few hours of use, my feet are killing, no matter how many times I get them fitted.
  2. Not be formal. Not looking for dress shoes. Typically going to wear these with polos and jeans, want to look 'professional' without looking too business if that makes sense lol. i.e. No nikes or adidas
  3. Be used with both wet and dry (sometimes it rains when I'm on travel, go figure)
  4. Something I can wear with Jeans, Chinos, and Tech pants. I like to wear Lululemon ABC pants for the flights/travel days.
Been currently looking at Cole Haan Chukkas and Cole Haan Black/Tan Hightop sneakers. Also considered Clark Desert Boots but read they are terrible with traction in the rain. Also not sure if they would go well with Lululemons. Anything else I am missing?

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suede chukkas are a great option that work great with jeans. Also a plain to blutcher. I have a pair from White's boots that are very comfortable. Alden makes a great pair as well. The White's are a bit roomier last than most AE lasts so definitely more comfortable. A PTB in CXL leather is great even in the rain. Clarks is a good economy boot. Cole Haan not really - not great quality and inflated price.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might also consider Chelsea boots. Avoid Blundstone which are now made in SE Asia despite all their Aussie heritage hype, from crap leather that won’t take a shine and synthetic soles that split quickly. Strictly for art students. I like R.M. Williams, actually made in Oz. Not cheap initially but they’ll last forever and thus, like many good products, cheaper over time than the throwaway brands.

adrianvo

Reaction score
Suede or calf tassel loafers, depending on the weather. You could also go for split-toe grain derby's or dark brown grain chukkas which are also quite nice.

If I had to buy poor quality I would rather buy shoes on AliExpress than from Cole Haan. More bang for your buck in all honestly. ?

Last edited:

jithu9684

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses, this was helpful. Summary: No Cole Haan!

2 follow on questions...do suede chukkas and suede Chelsea’s both give off the same level of formality? I know Chelsea’s can be more formal, but if both are suede, are they about the same?

2nd question- are there brands of quality sneakers (high tops) that are SF approved? I suppose that should be a thread/post on its own.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P
Thanks everyone for the responses, this was helpful. Summary: No Cole Haan!

2 follow on questions...do suede chukkas and suede Chelsea’s both give off the same level of formality? I know Chelsea’s can be more formal, but if both are suede, are they about the same?

2nd question- are there brands of quality sneakers (high tops) that are SF approved? I suppose that should be a thread/post on its own.
I’m not a fan of suede Chelsea boots, I was thinking of full-grain leather. Why not get a pair of suede Chukkas and a pair of leather Chelseas? Then you have two styles. Also, you don’t want to wear the same shoes every day—they need to rest and air out.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to like chelsea boots but they just don’t work for me.

first off, the real visual interest is in the shaft. They look cool with jeans if you cuff them but that’s just not for me.

with regular slacks, I find that my pants get hung up on the top of the boot. Even worse when they have that little pull loop.

So as much as I keep saying I’m going to get a pair, I end up passing. By the way, I have the same problem with Jodhpurs. I love the look but just can’t wear them.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW - for the lululemon type pants I would only recommend sneakers. You should accept that no single pair of shoes is going to look good with every pair of pants. And, I would also add - if your chinos/jeans are slim fit I'm not a fan of that look with boots. Your pants should go over the top of the boots, not get bunched up by it.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to like chelsea boots but they just don’t work for me.

first off, the real visual interest is in the shaft. They look cool with jeans if you cuff them but that’s just not for me.

with regular slacks, I find that my pants get hung up on the top of the boot. Even worse when they have that little pull loop.

So as much as I keep saying I’m going to get a pair, I end up passing. By the way, I have the same problem with Jodhpurs. I love the look but just can’t wear them.
It sounds as though you don’t much like boots at all (maybe lace-ups?) which is a valid personal choice. I do like Chelsea boots in winter but apparently they can work even in summer as these lads demonstrate.
1619055838230.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, off topic but in reference to the above, Charlie Watts is hands down one of the best, if not THE best dressed man in rock and roll.

7190EDE9-0358-41AB-9BC2-728C83C27DDA.jpeg

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm loving the AE Venture Horween Chukkas I recently received. I find them to be very comfortable, but, I also find their Oxfords to be comfortable so...

Can't say I'm a fan of Chelsea boots though, but that's just me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads