• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfort vs. Aesthetic

dolcevita

Reaction score
What is more important to you in the way you dress? Which comes first? Would you sacrifice a bit of comfort for overall aesthetic or vice-versa? More importantly, why so?

For example: Some people prefer dress shoes with rubber soles for everyday use and purists prefer the traditional majority leather sole.

tecevo

Reaction score
A difficult choice, all things told. I was always more of a comfort chap (as was the style, you see?) but given how everything is cut super slim and tailored to a tee it can sometimes become hard to breathe when breathlessly chasing the most elegant silhouette.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I have matured sartorially and have come to appreciate the virtues of proper tailoring and fit, I fail to see any conflict been elegance or aesthetics and comfort. An exception might be in blazing hot weather, when even a very lightweight jacket adds materially to the heat. Otherwise, I am just about equally comfortable in suit and tie as I am in a sport shirt and khakis, the latter being my usual default mode of dressing.

naestyle

Reaction score
I think finding the equal balance between comfort and aesthetic is key. It will vary with the garments that you choose, you can choose something aesthetically appealing to wear and it can also be your most comfortable piece you own in your wardrobe. If you can't bend down, sit or walk correctly with what you're wearing, there's a really good chance that what you're wearing may not be aesthetically appealing on you either.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comfort > Aesthetics

It's tough to be yourself when your pants are cutting off circulation to the family jewels.

cuongtelecoms

Reaction score
I agreed with above comment on how difficult to wear aesthetics during hot/high humidity conditions. I am living in a tropical country and eight/twelve months, the temperature is above 90 degrees. So, wearing a sport coat is nearly impossible not need to say wearing a suit and a tie.

elin

Reaction score
It depends I think. I will speak as a women: it depends on my mood, the weather and the occasion for which I get dressed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads