• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Combining plaids, checks, houndstooth etc

Ixelles

Reaction score
Having spent years in solid and pinstripe suits and jeans or solid colour cotton pants at the weekend, I'm inspired by SF to use more plaids and patterns in jackets and trousers. Are there any (un)written rules about what works better, eg jackets should have bigger patterns than pants, or houndstooth and plaid only work if 2 shades of the same colour? I see some great combos in WAYWT (Doc recently had a great look with some brown houndstooth pants and a much talked-about RL jacket) and I'm not really a "rules" guy, but before I take the plunge I was hoping for some opinions.

Ixelles

Reaction score
bgs, thanks for the link - great place to start.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You might ease into it with a pair of checked trousers in two shades of the same color. (I'd suggest brown.) For the most part, you can treat them as a solid. I love checked trou with sweaters and such. Very versatile. Larger plaids are easier to work with as coats than trou, I think. I have several pairs of glen plaid trou, but they get trotted out much less often than my checks.

In terms of coats, you can't go wrong with houndstooth. A simple brown houndstooth is a great wardrobe addition that can be thrown on over everything from denim to wool trou. Doesn't take much coordination. Black and white houndstooth, on the other hand, is much less versatile.

You needn't limit yourself to only two colors in your checks and plaids, but the fewer colors there are, the easier they are to coordinate, at least for me.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Treat houndstooth as a check. In addition to the Ask Andy website, Flusser's "Dressing the Man" has some rules and good examples that will get you started pattern matching.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
"Paging gnatty8...phone call for gnatty8..."

- B

laugh.gif

After my post today, I may not want to dispense advice on this question, thanks..

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
laugh.gif

After my post today, I may not want to dispense advice on this question, thanks..

Au contraire, I welcome you to the multi-pattern club:

282793167_wAWdQ-L.jpg

287499366_WKnWT-L.jpg

287964496_wicRU-L.jpg

- B

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Au contraire, I welcome you to the multi-pattern club:

- B

Ah, but you see, those combinations work.. My effort today? Not so much.. Funny, I didn't realize how off it looked until I saw the pictures upload. That's when I thought, not so good..

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get too inspired. Most of the pattern mixing around here is, to my eye, quite busy. Don't mix just for mixing's sake. Between jacket, shirt and tie, I like to keep at least one of them a solid, and often two.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Do all three of those pics contain orange? It looks like it to me, but I'm colorblind. If they do, kudos for the use of an underappreciated fall color.

Appears so... my challenge lately is NOT to buy orange...
blush.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Ah, but you see, those combinations work.. My effort today? Not so much.. Funny, I didn't realize how off it looked until I saw the pictures upload. That's when I thought, not so good..

There there... criticism is like Buckley's cough medicine. Tastes awful but it works!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads