• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Combat the hairline

Arizona's Finest

Reaction score
Just recently, I caught my college friend applying Rogaine to prevent receding hairline. I told him right off bat that I doubt Rogaine would ever work except for hair transplant which has remarkable results afterward.

So, I wonder if any of you are also in this kind of combat and what are you doing?

Mitch D

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest, In a word: nothing. My hair began falling out when I was 16 (I am 41 now). While I was fortunate that I didn't lose too much hair,I certainly empathise with your friend. I considered using Rogaine when it was still available by prescription only,but heard that only about 30% of men sustain any kind of significant growth. And the fact that one must continue to use it for the rest of one's life,or the growth will simply fall out again?.  Why waste all of that $$? Likewise with Propecia,the prescription only tablet that purports to grow hair. No thanks. Off and on,I get curious about hair transplantation surgery,but I suspect that it costs much more than I'm willing to spend. I've learned to adjust to my thinning hair,and,while I'd like to have a mane like George Clooney or Pierce Brosnan, I've accepted that I don't.  Depending on the extent of your college friend's hair loss,and how much he's been affected by it,he's probably better off getting the transplant,if he truly wants to regain a full head of hair.

JLM

Reaction score
I've been taking Propecia for about three years. I started taking it as soon as I noticed some loss around the hairline (I'm now 29). Propecia definately works for me, I re-grew everything I had lost and have not lost any in the past three years. Like Rogaine, I will be taking these pills for the rest of my life if I want to keep my hair and they are about $50/month. For me, that's a small price to pay and I am very happy with the results.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Mitch:

Great avatar. Bill the Cat is one of my all time favorites. And I'm trying to remember which song your sig came from and it's driving me nuts... Could you solve the mystery for me?

Mitch D

Reaction score
Steve B. Ack Phfft.. Â Nice to hear that there's another "Bloom County/Outland" fan amongst us.
wink.gif
As for my sig,it's from "Sympathy For The Devil," from one of the greatest rock bands of all time,The Rolling Stones (the "Beggars Banquet" album,to be precise).

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Thanks, Mitch.

I think my favorite Bill moment is when he's looking down into his BVDs, discovering the meaning of life.

ulf

Reaction score
Regarding Propecia, I'd been taking those for two months until I found out I could buy Proscar which is a fraction of the cost.

Proscar is used for treating enlargment of the prostate. While researching/testing Proscar they found out the hair thing was a side effect. So, what did they do? They cut down the active ingredient, jacked up the price and marketed a new drug which prevents hairloss...

I buy Proscar and split the pills. $10/month instead of 50. (It's hard to divide the pills in five parts so I go for four. Roughly 1+ mg/pill part compared to Propecia which is 1 mg/pill.)

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a question. When say, a strand of hair falls off your nead does a new hair replace that now gone strand or what?

I've always wondered this. Thank you.

ulf

Reaction score
I have a question. When say, a strand of hair falls off your nead does a new hair replace that now gone strand or what?
Huh?

If we're talking about head hears: Hairs fall out all our lives. Hairs grow for only so long (usually years) and then die and fall out; new hairs replace the dead ones. Unless you're going bald, in which case you may or may not want to combat it.

Finasteride (Proscar/Propecia) works by inhibiting a testosterone byproduct which causes the hair cells on the head to shrivel up. If they don't shrivel up, they stay functional.

Reaction score
I have been dealing with my hairline since I was 19. My father and two older brothers have all chosen to go bald but I refuse. My question after the hair transplant procedure can I go to the barber shop like normal
?

lizmasc

Reaction score
Hair falls every day, but it eventually grows, when someone starts seeing a significant change and loss of hair it's when the hair is not keeping up with the growing. I'm not familiar with hair products though
eh.gif
smiley2.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i tried propecia and rogaine. obviously a resounding success.

Neo1824

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrMoneyInDaBank
I have been dealing with my hairline since I was 19. My father and two older brothers have all chosen to go bald but I refuse. My question after the hair transplant procedure can I go to the barber shop like normal ?
Yes, absolutely. It is no different than the hair that was growing there prior to the transplant and can be treated exactly the same.

indy116

Reaction score
Dad was bald, mom's dad was bald.. I was doomed from the get-go. Didn't waste any money on the hair loss products.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arizona's Finest
Just recently, I caught my college friend applying Rogaine to prevent receding hairline. I told him right off bat that I doubt Rogaine would ever work except for hair transplant which has remarkable results afterward.
If this happened the way you explained it, you are an asshole. EDIT: I'm six years too late to tell the guy he's an asshole
nooooo.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads