1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Combat the hairline

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Arizona's Finest, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest Active Member

Just recently, I caught my college friend applying Rogaine to prevent receding hairline. I told him right off bat that I doubt Rogaine would ever work except for hair transplant which has remarkable results afterward.

So, I wonder if any of you are also in this kind of combat and what are you doing?

2. Mitch D

Mitch D Well-Known Member

Arizona's Finest, In a word: nothing. My hair began falling out when I was 16 (I am 41 now). While I was fortunate that I didn't lose too much hair,I certainly empathise with your friend. I considered using Rogaine when it was still available by prescription only,but heard that only about 30% of men sustain any kind of significant growth. And the fact that one must continue to use it for the rest of one's life,or the growth will simply fall out again?.  Why waste all of that $$? Likewise with Propecia,the prescription only tablet that purports to grow hair. No thanks. Off and on,I get curious about hair transplantation surgery,but I suspect that it costs much more than I'm willing to spend. I've learned to adjust to my thinning hair,and,while I'd like to have a mane like George Clooney or Pierce Brosnan, I've accepted that I don't.  Depending on the extent of your college friend's hair loss,and how much he's been affected by it,he's probably better off getting the transplant,if he truly wants to regain a full head of hair.

3. JLM

JLM Member

I've been taking Propecia for about three years. I started taking it as soon as I noticed some loss around the hairline (I'm now 29). Propecia definately works for me, I re-grew everything I had lost and have not lost any in the past three years. Like Rogaine, I will be taking these pills for the rest of my life if I want to keep my hair and they are about $50/month. For me, that's a small price to pay and I am very happy with the results.

4. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Mitch:

Great avatar. Bill the Cat is one of my all time favorites. And I'm trying to remember which song your sig came from and it's driving me nuts... Could you solve the mystery for me?

5. Mitch D

Mitch D Well-Known Member

Steve B. Ack Phfft..  Nice to hear that there's another "Bloom County/Outland" fan amongst us. [​IMG] As for my sig,it's from "Sympathy For The Devil," from one of the greatest rock bands of all time,The Rolling Stones (the "Beggars Banquet" album,to be precise).

6. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Thanks, Mitch.

I think my favorite Bill moment is when he's looking down into his BVDs, discovering the meaning of life.

7. ulf

ulf Well-Known Member

Regarding Propecia, I'd been taking those for two months until I found out I could buy Proscar which is a fraction of the cost.

Proscar is used for treating enlargment of the prostate. While researching/testing Proscar they found out the hair thing was a side effect. So, what did they do? They cut down the active ingredient, jacked up the price and marketed a new drug which prevents hairloss...

I buy Proscar and split the pills. $10/month instead of 50. (It's hard to divide the pills in five parts so I go for four. Roughly 1+ mg/pill part compared to Propecia which is 1 mg/pill.)

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have a question. When say, a strand of hair falls off your nead does a new hair replace that now gone strand or what?

I've always wondered this. Thank you.

9. ulf

ulf Well-Known Member

Huh?

If we're talking about head hears: Hairs fall out all our lives. Hairs grow for only so long (usually years) and then die and fall out; new hairs replace the dead ones. Unless you're going bald, in which case you may or may not want to combat it.

Finasteride (Proscar/Propecia) works by inhibiting a testosterone byproduct which causes the hair cells on the head to shrivel up. If they don't shrivel up, they stay functional.

10. MrMoneyInDaBank

MrMoneyInDaBank Member

I have been dealing with my hairline since I was 19. My father and two older brothers have all chosen to go bald but I refuse. My question after the hair transplant procedure can I go to the barber shop like normal
    ?

11. lizmasc

lizmasc Senior member

Hair falls every day, but it eventually grows, when someone starts seeing a significant change and loss of hair it's when the hair is not keeping up with the growing. I'm not familiar with hair products though [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i tried propecia and rogaine. obviously a resounding success.

13. Neo1824

Neo1824 Senior member

I have been dealing with my hairline since I was 19. My father and two older brothers have all chosen to go bald but I refuse. My question after the hair transplant procedure can I go to the barber shop like normal ?
    Yes, absolutely. It is no different than the hair that was growing there prior to the transplant and can be treated exactly the same.

14. indy116

indy116 Senior member

Dad was bald, mom's dad was bald.. I was doomed from the get-go. Didn't waste any money on the hair loss products.

15. dusty

dusty Senior member

Just recently, I caught my college friend applying Rogaine to prevent receding hairline. I told him right off bat that I doubt Rogaine would ever work except for hair transplant which has remarkable results afterward.
    If this happened the way you explained it, you are an asshole. EDIT: I'm six years too late to tell the guy he's an asshole [​IMG]

16. SVS

SVS Senior member

I started to use Rogaine a few years ago when I first noticed my hair thinning. It helped me grow more hair, but it didn't really stop the thinning. I looked better, but the baldness was still spreading.

I didn't go with the Propecia right away. If I had it to do over again, I'd start the Propecia the second I noticed the thinning hair. I now believe the best think a person can do it start Propecia while they still have a lot of hair to work with.

Your friend should see a dermatologist ASAP.

17. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    How did this resurface? I can't imagine how deep this thread was buried.

18. KBW

KBW Senior member

My sister started off as a hair cutter (don't remember the "official" term for it) and now owns boutiques but she hooked me up with some sort of shampoo when my hair started falling out and it stopped completely and I have a full head of hair. It is downstairs and I can't remember the name but it has worked great for me. My dad was bald by his junior year in college and mine started falling out first semester freshman year but after I started the shampoo it completely stopped thinning and I have pretty thick hair.

19. APK

APK Senior member

Good chance you're talking about Nioxin, KBW. That's the shampoo generally recommended to slow down or stop the thinning process.