Combat boots - Practical or plain silly?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Flame, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Flame

Flame Senior member

Well I've always wanted a pair of black military boots to complete my winter footwear. However, I just realized most boots these days might be too heavy for regular, around-town use, not to mention the associations with high-school goth/anime dork , and have come to second-guess my opinion on combat boots? What does the crowd say?

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Fear not the boot. Wear it [​IMG] (yes, silly smiley but when else would I use it [​IMG])

3. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I'd like to see some good examples of a functional, attractive "combat" boot. I honestly can't think of any.

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I have a pair of black Air Force flight crew boots and they are amazingly comfortable. I don't wear them often though. What I'd really like is some of the Desert combat boots. I think they look great.

5. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Thread needs pics and links.

6. CommieRabbit

CommieRabbit Member

I'm a fan of these American ww2 paratrooper boots from here: http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/...id/194135.html

[​IMG]

There's also a lower shaft standard infantry version that I sometimes see floating around the internet (but mostly repros on reenactement sites):

[​IMG]

Personally I like them because they aren't as chunky or ugly as most combat boots, plus they have a sorta classy vintage feel to them IMO.

7. Caleb

Caleb Well-Known Member

8. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I like those top darker brown ones. I have side zip black jump boots that I don't wear anymore. They usually have removable insoles so you can put in a comfy gel insole or whatever. I've moved on to more civilized footwear but if it snows or whatever I'll drag out the jump boots.

But stylistic terms, I don't see any problem with them as part of a more rock-oriented look. Just avoid the all-faded-black goth dork look and you'll be fine. Accessorize with a girl wearing fishnets.

9. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

10. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

To what? My boots? They are Carolina jump boots with the big brass zipper on the side... the new version with the finer black zipper and flap at the top are much better.

http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/b...bgid-4294.html

Edit: BTW, the leather on these is crap. Once it scratches it peels away the black top layer. Pay the money and get better ones with real dyed leather.

11. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

12. haptronic

haptronic Member

maybe not as combat as the admittedly beautiful boots of xcoldricex...but i love my CoSTUME NATIONAL combat inspired painted suede boots from a few seasons ago... [​IMG]

13. dryice

dryice Senior member

goddamn, xcoldricex those cdiem boots are sex. i wish i could afford a pair.

boots are def practical in the winter, though i wish they'd breath a bit better.

14. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Both of those are pretty cool, but I just can't take Carpe Diem seriously. Nice designs, but $2200 combat boots are the joke of a sadistic god. I'd really like to see some cool designs at more realistic prices.

15. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

haha that's why you don't pay anywhere near $2200 for them- Y219.450 works out to $1880 anyway. then figure in a huge discount [​IMG] i saw some boots at the osaka fullcount denim store that were $2000+... i forgot the name of them, but they looked really nice...