• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Combat Boots, cont.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, the last combat boots thread rather quickly landed in Carpe Diem territory. I'm more interested in (at least relatively) functional combat boots at more reasonable prices (say, 150-200 ceiling). Are there any good ones out there that don't require going into human trafficking to afford? I've come across two that I like, but I'm really unsure about the quality (especially after a few vague comments j made about the leather in the last thread), and I am curious what else is out there. That said, these Corcoran jump boots do kind of appeal to my anachronistic tendencies. And less anachronistic, I like the overall design of these tankers.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jump boots are certainly nice looking. I am on the fence regarding the tanker boots myself - not sure if I like them or not.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look like quality boots, but 1) the toe boxes look very large (I'd like to see other views), and 2) I can't imagine facing the prospect of putting either on on any frequent basis.

Someone posted these before, but from pure photographic appearance, I like the boots that wwiiimpressions.com (no, not wwiii) sells. (Scroll down the maddeningly designed page.)

I have a hard time believing the ones sold as cordovan are shell--I assume they're referring to the color.

30180stitchingqn3.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favourite issue combat boots were some British infantry boots, early 1990's issue. I think they were made by Bata, don't remember exactly who made them for the MOD. VERY comfortable, wonderful large gusetted padded tongue. However, they did not take well to the terrain of Cyprus, i.e. rocky surface with jagged stones. But I loved them while their sole lasted
smile.gif
I started wearing them in high school then wore them through the first year of my service, at which point I went back to the ones I was issued by the government. Hardier but not as nice. Edit: I am trying to remember what version of the BCH that was. Maybe Nonk, Quirk or some other member from that side of the pond may have some ideas.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Rad, look at those boondockers too.

boondocker.JPG

My vague comment was that I have a pair of Carolina jump boots (with the zippers) and the black surface of the leather quickly scraped off to reveal light grey leather underneath. I don't know how they would hold up if I hadn't been using them for actual work, but the other thing was that the toe boxes on both dented in in the middle and look kind of bad now. I still have them around for snow &c.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those boondockers are hot ****.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
My vague comment was that I have a pair of Carolina jump boots (with the zippers) and the black surface of the leather quickly scraped off to reveal light grey leather underneath. I don't know how they would hold up if I hadn't been using them for actual work, but the other thing was that the toe boxes on both dented in in the middle and look kind of bad now. I still have them around for snow &c.
Are the Carolinas similar to the Corcorans? I'm wondering if anyone (outside of really specialized and insanely expensive stuff like History Preservation) uses decent quality materials in the milsurp industry. I guess it seems improbable.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Should be getting my carpes soon
bigstar[1].gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Are the Carolinas similar to the Corcorans? I'm wondering if anyone (outside of really specialized and insanely expensive stuff like History Preservation) uses decent quality materials in the milsurp industry. I guess it seems improbable.
I'm not sure, but based on the pictures, the "spit-shineable" Corcorans look really similar to the leather used on mine. And considering the price of these at less than $150 full retail, I can't imagine any of them are using really high quality leather.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
j, can you link to the suede ones?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you're talking about the boondockers, they're on the same horrible, horrible page as those not-really-cordovan 1910 Marine boots.

glenn

Reaction score
Real military combat boots. Nothing much style-wise, but you can't beat the authenticity!

gtboots.jpg

They cost about 150.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads