Combat Boots, cont.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Arethusa, Oct 25, 2006.

1. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

Yeah, I found it, thanks. I'll pick up a pair when I come into a bit of money. So damn cool...

2. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Let us know what the quality's like. I'm hoping it's good, but this milsurp stuff always leaves me wondering.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

what is it with you people and your fasinations for anything from the military? M65, this, shirts, where does it end? Are you all wanting your piece of war? I'd prefer to get something that doesn't get influences from war. And there's plenty of that out there [​IMG] --Wade
    Huh?

4. mendel

mendel Senior member

what is it with you people and your fasinations for anything from the military?

M65, this, shirts, where does it end? Are you all wanting your piece of war?

I'd prefer to get something that doesn't get influences from war. And there's plenty of that out there [​IMG]

Avoiding military-styled clothing on political grounds is a perfectly reasonable stance, but it doesn't necessarily follow that wearing military-styled clothing is always a pro-war statement. Military-style clothing, like cowboy-style clothing, is more about the qualities of historical men and about traditional masculine fit than it is about current wars (even if it does gain in popularity when there's a war on).

On top of that, military clothing is designed to be practical, durable and comfortable. People like those things.

Besides, where does it end? Do you consider wearing a peacoat a pro-war statement? If not, what's the difference between that and an M65?

5. dusty

dusty Senior member

(even if it does gain in popularity when there's a war on)

Is that true?

6. blackgrass

blackgrass Senior member

If someone orders the boots from At the Front be sure and submit a review! I'm just about to pull the trigger and would like to hear from someone on this forum about the boots.

I just got in a Tanker jacket from them (At the Front) and I'm really happy with it. It's a great alternative to the M-65 and something that everybody and their brother won't be wearing.

7. nemuu

nemuu Senior member

Looking at that website, I found these japanese boots to be fucking awesome:

[​IMG]

8. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I love the at the front site. The brusque copy is great, and the pictures are high quality. The design is meh, but the wwii impressions guys could take some hints from at the front. Looking forward to boot reviews, a lot of them look great and the price is right.

Plus, they offer you the opportunity to buy actual hobnailed jackboots (if that's your thing)!

9. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Can you easily resole hobnailed boots with, say, a rubber vibram sole at a cobbler? I really, really, really don't want to deal with hobnails.

Also, yes, ATF's copy is delightful. I want to email them and ask them if the 506th E company ever wore tankers.

10. blackgrass

blackgrass Senior member

One of the reasons I wanted a Tanker is that my grandfather wore one in WWII with the 10th Armored.
    I got the Import model and really pleased with the quality and I'm the type of guy that usually finds some quality issue to bitch about.

11. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Can you easily resole hobnailed boots with, say, a rubber vibram sole at a cobbler? I really, really, really don't want to deal with hobnails.

Yes. The Corcoran boots are also hobnailed, albeit not as ostentatiously. While their leather will never be mistaken for EG, nor will their prices. They are perfectly adequate for anywhere that you would wear combat boots, and look very cool in brown (hadn't seen that before).

I know this isn't the right forum, but I have a couple of pairs of unworn desert boots I'm considering selling cheap. I'll be able to post pictures in about a week. Drop me a PM if you're interested. Fit like a typical US 10 - 10.5.

Tom

12. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Are you talking about the Corcoran/Cove leather or ATF's leather? Good to know it's not hard to resole and remove hobnails, at least.

Also, desert boots as in classic desert boots or desert boots as in AltamaxGreenZone collabs? Though I take a 9.5, so I guess I wouldn't fit.

13. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

The Corcorans, don't have experience with the others.

These are the boots I have. I think they're marked 9.5, but might be 8.5. I'll take measurements when I get home. Look very cool when beat to hell.

[​IMG]

14. Spook

Spook Member

tiger, those are one of the boots you can wear with the USMC uniform. I'm sure you realize that though. [​IMG] Those are the boots I got issued and they've taken me through miles of assault training courses and long humps, and still look pretty good with little to no care. If you take care of them, they look great, as my inspection boots do. But they look freaking awesome when beat up. Danner boots are better IMO, but look mostly the same. I tell you, especially if you just wear them around the street, these boots last forever with some resoling.

15. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

They're eminantly functional, but I really do have trouble seeing those as regular clothing. Even as part of a fashion forward or, hell, anime aesthetic.