1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Combat Boots, cont.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Arethusa, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Ok, the last combat boots thread rather quickly landed in Carpe Diem territory. I'm more interested in (at least relatively) functional combat boots at more reasonable prices (say, 150-200 ceiling). Are there any good ones out there that don't require going into human trafficking to afford? I've come across two that I like, but I'm really unsure about the quality (especially after a few vague comments j made about the leather in the last thread), and I am curious what else is out there. That said, these Corcoran jump boots do kind of appeal to my anachronistic tendencies. [​IMG] And less anachronistic, I like the overall design of these tankers. [​IMG]

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

The jump boots are certainly nice looking. I am on the fence regarding the tanker boots myself - not sure if I like them or not.

3. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Those look like quality boots, but 1) the toe boxes look very large (I'd like to see other views), and 2) I can't imagine facing the prospect of putting either on on any frequent basis.

Someone posted these before, but from pure photographic appearance, I like the boots that wwiiimpressions.com (no, not wwiii) sells. (Scroll down the maddeningly designed page.)

I have a hard time believing the ones sold as cordovan are shell--I assume they're referring to the color.

[​IMG]

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

My favourite issue combat boots were some British infantry boots, early 1990's issue. I think they were made by Bata, don't remember exactly who made them for the MOD. VERY comfortable, wonderful large gusetted padded tongue. However, they did not take well to the terrain of Cyprus, i.e. rocky surface with jagged stones. But I loved them while their sole lasted [​IMG] I started wearing them in high school then wore them through the first year of my service, at which point I went back to the ones I was issued by the government. Hardier but not as nice. Edit: I am trying to remember what version of the BCH that was. Maybe Nonk, Quirk or some other member from that side of the pond may have some ideas.

5. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Rad, look at those boondockers too.

[​IMG]

My vague comment was that I have a pair of Carolina jump boots (with the zippers) and the black surface of the leather quickly scraped off to reveal light grey leather underneath. I don't know how they would hold up if I hadn't been using them for actual work, but the other thing was that the toe boxes on both dented in in the middle and look kind of bad now. I still have them around for snow &c.

6. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

Those boondockers are hot shit.

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

http://cgi.ebay.com/575-COSTUME-NATI...em260033844776

They aren't combat boots, but they are very military-styled (I could see our troops wearing them in 2056). They are $200, which is more than I'd normally pay for fashion-oriented footwear, but for some reason I'd buy them in a heartbeat if they were in my size.

[​IMG]

8. j

9. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

My vague comment was that I have a pair of Carolina jump boots (with the zippers) and the black surface of the leather quickly scraped off to reveal light grey leather underneath. I don't know how they would hold up if I hadn't been using them for actual work, but the other thing was that the toe boxes on both dented in in the middle and look kind of bad now. I still have them around for snow &c.
    Are the Carolinas similar to the Corcorans? I'm wondering if anyone (outside of really specialized and insanely expensive stuff like History Preservation) uses decent quality materials in the milsurp industry. I guess it seems improbable.

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

Should be getting my carpes soon [​IMG]

11. j

Are the Carolinas similar to the Corcorans? I'm wondering if anyone (outside of really specialized and insanely expensive stuff like History Preservation) uses decent quality materials in the milsurp industry. I guess it seems improbable.
    I'm not sure, but based on the pictures, the "spit-shineable" Corcorans look really similar to the leather used on mine. And considering the price of these at less than $150 full retail, I can't imagine any of them are using really high quality leather.

12. dusty

dusty Senior member

j, can you link to the suede ones?

13. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Assuming you're talking about the boondockers, they're on the same horrible, horrible page as those not-really-cordovan 1910 Marine boots.

14. glenn

glenn Member

Real military combat boots. Nothing much style-wise, but you can't beat the authenticity!

[​IMG]

They cost about 150.