• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Combat Boots, cont.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, the last combat boots thread rather quickly landed in Carpe Diem territory. I'm more interested in (at least relatively) functional combat boots at more reasonable prices (say, 150-200 ceiling). Are there any good ones out there that don't require going into human trafficking to afford? I've come across two that I like, but I'm really unsure about the quality (especially after a few vague comments j made about the leather in the last thread), and I am curious what else is out there. That said, these Corcoran jump boots do kind of appeal to my anachronistic tendencies. And less anachronistic, I like the overall design of these tankers.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jump boots are certainly nice looking. I am on the fence regarding the tanker boots myself - not sure if I like them or not.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look like quality boots, but 1) the toe boxes look very large (I'd like to see other views), and 2) I can't imagine facing the prospect of putting either on on any frequent basis.

Someone posted these before, but from pure photographic appearance, I like the boots that wwiiimpressions.com (no, not wwiii) sells. (Scroll down the maddeningly designed page.)

I have a hard time believing the ones sold as cordovan are shell--I assume they're referring to the color.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favourite issue combat boots were some British infantry boots, early 1990's issue. I think they were made by Bata, don't remember exactly who made them for the MOD. VERY comfortable, wonderful large gusetted padded tongue. However, they did not take well to the terrain of Cyprus, i.e. rocky surface with jagged stones. But I loved them while their sole lasted
I started wearing them in high school then wore them through the first year of my service, at which point I went back to the ones I was issued by the government. Hardier but not as nice. Edit: I am trying to remember what version of the BCH that was. Maybe Nonk, Quirk or some other member from that side of the pond may have some ideas.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Rad, look at those boondockers too.

My vague comment was that I have a pair of Carolina jump boots (with the zippers) and the black surface of the leather quickly scraped off to reveal light grey leather underneath. I don't know how they would hold up if I hadn't been using them for actual work, but the other thing was that the toe boxes on both dented in in the middle and look kind of bad now. I still have them around for snow &c.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those boondockers are hot shit.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
My vague comment was that I have a pair of Carolina jump boots (with the zippers) and the black surface of the leather quickly scraped off to reveal light grey leather underneath. I don't know how they would hold up if I hadn't been using them for actual work, but the other thing was that the toe boxes on both dented in in the middle and look kind of bad now. I still have them around for snow &c.
Are the Carolinas similar to the Corcorans? I'm wondering if anyone (outside of really specialized and insanely expensive stuff like History Preservation) uses decent quality materials in the milsurp industry. I guess it seems improbable.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Should be getting my carpes soon

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Are the Carolinas similar to the Corcorans? I'm wondering if anyone (outside of really specialized and insanely expensive stuff like History Preservation) uses decent quality materials in the milsurp industry. I guess it seems improbable.
I'm not sure, but based on the pictures, the "spit-shineable" Corcorans look really similar to the leather used on mine. And considering the price of these at less than $150 full retail, I can't imagine any of them are using really high quality leather.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
j, can you link to the suede ones?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you're talking about the boondockers, they're on the same horrible, horrible page as those not-really-cordovan 1910 Marine boots.

glenn

Reaction score
Real military combat boots. Nothing much style-wise, but you can't beat the authenticity!

They cost about 150.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%