• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colts release Marvin Harrison..... Crap.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...M1nIQD96HKEGO1

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Come on MonteCristo, take your shots.
frown.gif

By MICHAEL MAROT

AP Sports Writer

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Marvin Harrison refused to take a pay cut. The Indianapolis Colts couldn't afford to keep him without one.

On Monday, the two sides reached agreement on one thing: Harrison will be a free agent.

Agent Tom Condon told The Associated Press that Indianapolis has agreed to release the franchise's all-time leading receiver, although an official announcement is not expected until Tuesday or Wednesday.

The decision comes one day after team president Bill Polian said he hoped to cut a deal that would keep Harrison in Indy. When Harrison said no, the Colts said farewell.

"Basically, we were not able to come to any kind of agreement, it was not contentious and the Colts have agreed to release him," Condon said in a phone interview.

Team officials declined comment and a message was left by The Associated Press at the office of team owner Jim Irsay.

It's not a surprising move because the Colts would save about $6 million, based on Harrison's base salary. They would still be charged for prorated bonuses from the $66 million deal he signed in December 2004.

The Colts found it too expensive for a 36-year-old receiver coming off one of the least productive seasons of his career.

Harrison ranks second in NFL history with 1,102 receptions, and the move will disappoint many Colts fans, who embraced Harrison as a favorite. They referred to Harrison, Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James as "The Triplets," and Harrison was one of the franchise's most identifiable player in the last decade.

His penchant for toe-tapping catches along the sideline and incredible grabs in the middle of the field helped the Colts build one of the league's most successful franchises in this decade.

But longtime teammates understood why Harrison wanted to become a free agent.

"I think whatever Marvin chooses to do for himself, he has to do," center Jeff Saturday said Sunday night. "I love Marvin as a friend and as a teammate."

Indianapolis took Harrison in the first round of the 1996 draft and when Manning arrived two years later, the tandem began a record-setting journey.

They combined for more completions, yardage and touchdowns than any duo in league history.

Harrison made eight Pro Bowls, won a Super Bowl ring, and his 14,550 yards rank fourth on the NFL's career list. He is No. 5 all-time with 128 TD catches and holds all major single-season and career receiving marks for the Colts.

Over the past two seasons, though, Harrison hasn't been up to his usual standards.

He missed all but five games in 2007 because of injuries, underwent offseason knee surgery and then caught 60 passes in 2008 — far less than half of his NFL record 143 in 2002.

Philadelphia police also believe one of Harrison's guns was used in an April shooting in his hometown. No charges were filed against Harrison, and the man who made the accusation was convicted on a misdemeanor charge of lying to police.

On the field, Manning has looked more frequently for three-time Pro Bowl selection Reggie Wayne and Anthony Gonzalez, a first-round pick in 2007.

Yet coaches and Polian insisted Harrison's skills had not deteriorated.

"What I saw is a guy who is as quick as he's been, with the same hands, and he has the ability he's always had," new coach Jim Caldwell said Thursday at the NFL's annual scouting combine.

And Polian insisted he still wanted Harrison back in his familiar No. 88 jersey.

"Hopefully, we'll find a way to work through that (the contract)," Polian said Sunday. "I don't know if we will, but we hope to."

They couldn't.

Now Harrison will look for work elsewhere. Some have speculated that he would like to play with his hometown Eagles and former college teammate Donovan McNabb.

The Colts will have a vastly different look next season.

Former coach Tony Dungy retired in January and was replaced by Caldwell. Caldwell has hired new defensive and special teams coordinators and three of the four longest-tenured players on the roster are heading to free agency, which opens Friday.

Saturday said Sunday night he intended to test the market despite getting an offer from the Colts late last week. Punter Hunter Smith's agent, Thomas Mills, said last week Indy would not try to re-sign Smith before free agency began.

And now Harrison will join them on the open market.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This has been imminent for a while now.

Lucky for the Colts, Harrison is no longer an impact player the way he used to be. They will be fine without him. Still, he has great hands and runs great routes, so he will make some lucky team a great #2 WR.

I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Pats, but for the fact that he's liable to bust a cap in your ass if you piss him off.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully he goes to San Francisco, then we can pick up Michael Vick in the off season, at which point we'd be poised to win the Super Bowl.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^are you joking or are you mildly marsupialed?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
^are you joking or are you mildly marsupialed?

Neither. SF went 7-9 last season. The Arizona Cardinals...8-8. Coincidence? This team almost made the playoffs with no quarterback and a halfway decent TE. We get Harrison, then (fingers-crossed) Vick. Hello Super Bowl!

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh, okay. you're the latter. thanks for clarifying.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
MC4 was right. Harrison holds a special place in my heart because I've been watching him play for the Colts forever, but really, the last couple seasons, he's only been good for 4-7 grabs a game and maybe 80 yds a game. That's pretty decent, but not worth the money that he's been getting paid or whatever money he will likely get paid by another team.
On the other hand, some of those catches have been record setters and insane grabs that made the Colts what they are, so maybe he's worth more than I think he is.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or we could pick up Plaxico. You're from NY and thus use to football disappointment. Yeah I know you guys won the Super Bowl recently, (I put all 3 New York teams in the same basket) but that's only because the New England had to lose. They weren't going to be allowed to win after being caught cheating. The commish contacted New England and bascially said "Lose the Super Bowl and we'll lose the tapes we confiscated."

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^i only took offense because vick is not a real quarterback. pull his football card and look at the back. you'll see i'm right.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Neither. SF went 7-9 last season. The Arizona Cardinals...8-8. Coincidence? This team almost made the playoffs with no quarterback and a halfway decent TE. We get Harrison, then (fingers-crossed) Vick. Hello Super Bowl!

Vick can't actually play for a year or two yet, teams can only go after his rights. I don't know that he will actually get signed. It's doubtful if he still has the rare speed. Without that he's a pretty average NFL player.

Re: Marvin. An all time great. Sad that he couldn't work things out with the colts, but both sides positions are understandable. I would have liked to see him retire having only played for the colts, but it was not to be. I do think this move will turn out to be good for both sides.

It would be interesting to see him in somewhere like Chicago and teach Devin Hester how to be a wide receiver.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
MC4 was right. Harrison holds a special place in my heart because I've been watching him play for the Colts forever, but really, the last couple seasons, he's only been good for 4-7 grabs a game and maybe 80 yds a game. That's pretty decent, but not worth the money that he's been getting paid or whatever money he will likely get paid by another team.
On the other hand, some of those catches have been record setters and insane grabs that made the Colts what they are, so maybe he's worth more than I think he is.

It will only get strange if you have to play against him 2 or 3 times a year. When Joe Montana left, SF made sure to trade him as far off as possible. KC was a great place because we never had to see him again. When Rice left he went to Oakland, he may have well fallen off the face of the planet. I feel bad for you if he ends up in Miami or New England.

^i only took offense because vick is not a real quarterback. pull his football card and look at the back. you'll see i'm right.

I'm an idiot, I always root for reclaimation projects. We signed Larry Phillips a couple of years ago, he had one 80 yard run and that was bascially it. SF just wasted almost 4 years on Alex Smith, I don't think they have the patience to wait for another QB out of college. Leftwich could be available and he says he's healthy and he looks it when he steps in for Big Ben.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^leftwich is a far better option IMO. i am non-plussed by the QBs in this draft.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^leftwich is a far better option IMO. i am non-plussed by the QBs in this draft.

I like Pat White... i think thats his name. The 6'0'' QB

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is about marv...

sucks that hes leaving but everyone knew it was coming. great player on the field and seems like a nice enough guy off. probably a first ballot HOFer.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
I like Pat White... i think thats his name. The 6'0'' QB
The guy has a decent arm AND he runs a <4.5 40. He'll be a great pick for someone. Whoever takes Sanchez may be picking a bust, I fear. Maybe. About Harrison: kwilk, you'll stop missing this guy around week 5 or 6, when Anthony Gonzalez has had a few 100 yard, 1 TD games and made the Dolphins look like idiots for taking Ginn over him (or Quinn). Meanwhile, Marvin might see a short revival in Philly, Minnesota or Chicago but his knees will give up before his new contract does. EDIT: Pat White's Wiki page is damn long for someone who hasn't played one NFL down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads