Colours that 'work' with peach/salmon pink

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fat al, Sep 30, 2009.

1. fat al

fat al Member

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am experiencing an unusual wardrobe quandry: I recently acquired a very fine double-breasted, linen waistcoat with lapels, for wearing with morning dress. It is a colour I don't normally wear - a salmon-pink/peach but is such a fine garment, that fits me fantastically, and is in such thick Irish linen, that I couldn't leave it behind.

My dilemma is what to pair it with - something I am finding difficult as I don't normally wear this colour. I was thinking very pale blue shirt and a powder blue (almost silver) tie, or a lavender tie but am not sure about any of those. Will go to Jermyn Street and try a load of shirts and ties but some suggestions before then would be a huge help.

Can the greater wisdom of SF please help with such a sartorial question?

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I'd keep everything else relatively neutral... so white shirt, navy pants, maybe a grey glenplaid tie.
    otherwise, say grey pants, white shirt, red tie...

3. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

4. fat al

fat al Member

I'd keep everything else relatively neutral... so white shirt, navy pants, maybe a grey glenplaid tie.
    otherwise, say grey pants, white shirt, red tie...

Wearing it with morning dress - so black is the order of most of it: black tails, grey/black striped trousers. White shirt, red tie could work though.

Mr Moo: a good look, although mine is a paler shade, and a touch more salmony.

5. Montauk

Montauk Senior member

Chocolate brown.

6. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Wearing it with morning dress - so black is the order of most of it: black tails, grey/black striped trousers. White shirt, red tie could work though.

Ah, sorry, didn't remember that.

7. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

When I'm in this dilema I look to nature for color/texture combo suggestions. 1) The cantaloupe. Observe the tan & green. [​IMG] 2) The Bird Of Paradise flower. Study the colors. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] just kidding. [​IMG] [​IMG] Hope this helps stir the creative juices.

8. fat al

fat al Member

9. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

When I'm in this dilema I look to nature for color/texture combo suggestions.

SNIP

Hope this helps stir the creative juices.

Awesome post!

10. fat al

fat al Member

Just to let you know, I settled on an ivory shirt and a pale blue tie. The combination looks good - will post pics if I get a chance.

I trawled Jermyn Street looking for the right shirt - blues and greens sounded the way to go but all looked a bit too busy. The ivory, on the other hand, really complements the peach/salmon.

In the end I got a shirt at Favourbrook, specially cut for wearing with a waistcoat (which I hadn't seen before). The collar is longer in the points, so that it sits beneath the waistcoat rather than on top of it. Not much good for wearing without a waistcoat (unless you are going to a 70s fancy dress party) but great with one.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

11. fat al

fat al Member

A long time later: http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...1&d=1277368187 This picture washes out the white of the shirt a little. Have since worn the same waistcoat and shirt with a red/gold checked Dunhill tie which also looked good. Thanks again for the suggestions. Al
    [​IMG]