1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Coloured linings in bespoke/MTM suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GBR, May 18, 2006.

1. GBR

GBR Senior member

How many people now have a bright contrasting lining inside the jackets of suits?

I have to say I have become addicted to them to give variety - pinks, reds blues golds - all are good. I plan to get just the occasional match one - itself for variety!However I always have a white/striped sleeve lining - very traditional and just a tad more sophisticated than using the same one right through.

I have found that one cutter/Tailor I used to use was not keen on the idea but who pays his bill?

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hate it, but that is me.

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I have them on a couple of my early commissions. The novelty of it has worn off though and I've gone towards matching linings. I may take a lighter version of the same colour, but if I want to wear a beautiful, vibrant colour, I have the cojones to wear it on the outside for all the world to see.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I think it's entirely a question of preference, and I happen to like them. I have a bright blue lining for a dark blue/light blue windowpane suit, and a dark burgundy lining for a yellow herringbone tweed sportcoat.

I do think they've been overdone a little recently.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I like them. I also like interesting patterns/prints. I saw the most flamboyant paisley lining on a $4k (discounted to $1.2k) Brioni cashmere sports coat at Filene's the other day. Reminded me of early 1990's Versace... not exactly to my liking

My favorite is a baby blue lining in one of my Isaia suits

6. timekeeping

timekeeping Well-Known Member

I use a burgundy lining in the body and white strips in the sleeve all my bespoke suits. I think it comes down to personal preference.

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I like it a lot. One of my Ozwald Boateng suits has a teal lining that is phenomenal and another OB suit has orange for its lining color. In both cases, the lining color compliments a color that is in the suit fabric so it all coordinates. I don't think I'd want a grey suit with, say, a bright red lining, like they dont really belong together.

8. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

On two of my three Chan suits, I have a sedate, matching lining. On the third (SB peak), I have a bright sky blue lining, contrasting with the charcoal suit fabric. My in-the-works navy blazer will have a red lining.

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

On two of my three Chan suits, I have a sedate, matching lining. On the third (SB peak), I have a bright sky blue lining, contrasting with the charcoal suit fabric.

Funny, I was thinking of just this combination the other day. How did it turn out?

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

I have a navy suit with burgundy/navy striped 1/4 lining and just ordered a navy blazer 1/4 lined in baby blue with embossed stars. My favorite lining, though, is a RTW brown Lauren RL corduroy jacket with a paisley lining that is predominantly a dark plum with greens, reds, gold and browns. No one sees my jacket linings, so they're a fun addition just for me.

11. A Y

A Y Senior member

I have an orange one in my navy Borrelli suit. I did it once for novelty, but I might do it again.

--Andre

12. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Funny, I was thinking of just this combination the other day. How did it turn out?
    It's nice and not quite as out-there as I thought it might be. Since the suit fabric also has a sky blue stripe, it really pulls the jacket together.

13. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

My favorite lining, though, is a RTW brown Lauren RL corduroy jacket with a paisley lining that is predominantly a dark plum with greens, reds, gold and browns.

Funny - I have the same jacket! AND I'm wearing it today [​IMG]

14. thinman

thinman Senior member

Funny - I have the same jacket! AND I'm wearing it today [​IMG]

Great minds think alike; I'm wearing mine too!! Although I wonder how appropriate it is to wear corduroy this time of year, it's been cloudy and dreary in SoCal recently, so I say "what the heck". And I'm always tempted to flash the lining on days like this, just to brighten people's days....

15. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

You have to be careful that the lining does not over colour the suit fabric - in different lights it could look awful if your colour coordination is not right.[​IMG]

16. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I like a rich burgundy.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think they're great.

18. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

<-------

I like them, but as with anything else, it's possible to go too far.

19. denarii

denarii Active Member

For those of you with adventurous linings, where do you generally get the materials? Do you rely on the stock the tailor has at hand, or do you procure it on your own? And if so, would you have any leads? I'd like to get a little creative on my next MTM.

20. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member