• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colour Scheme—Too Blue?

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi ya'll, this is my first post—I didn't know whether to post it in the 'Ask a Question, Get an Answer' thread, or not—I couldn't get the post to work? Anyway, I'm going into town, for a birthday, in a couple of days—is this scheme too blue? Bear in mind, the image is slightly different to what it looks like in the light—the blazer is dark navy, the shoes navy, the shirt that strange, neon-ish blue (it's, actually, a different shirt but the closest one I could find!) and the tie is a brighter navy than the blazer (and, also, pointed, not flat). It looks alright when I wear it all—the different shades of blue play off each other well, and while I think it could look schoolboy-ish I think, with the addition of the knit tie and tie bar, it works?! For anyone interested, the trousers, blazer and shirt are from Uniqlo, the tie from Chums, the shoes are Mark McNairy (duh!), the tie bar is from T.M. Lewin (U.K. based) and the pocket square from Marks & Spencer (U.K. based, also)! Thanks!
Get_Up.jpg

Acer

Reaction score
Too blue for me, personally. I'd wear a white shirt and a dark green tie, I believe. This is my favorite tie to wear with my navy blazer edit: and if you're going with a knit, I think a large safety pin stuck through the middle makes an interesting tie bar.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have brown hair, and blue hues really suit me—that tie, while an obviously interesting colour, wouldn't really suit me. The safety pin idea is nice, thanks! Oh, also, I'm rolling up the trousers (twice) with a 1 & 3/4 inch fold—to show my ankles! The blazer is linen.

I think, if I could have my way, I would wear a white shirt with a navy and (insert colour here) tie. Striped or spotted—whatever! At the moment, I only have one white shirt (I know, I know!) and the collar is curved and is too tight, really! It might work with a bow tie (as it may hide the collar) but I don't know..!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Bump... What if I changed the blazer to black?
Black & Blue? you'll look like a bruise ..please don't. If you have any of the articles you are considering wearing, why not snap a few photos and show us from head to toe what you have in mind. Provide an assortment of shirts, ties and shoes, and we'll help you coordinate.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have so many ties, at the moment, and like I said, I only have one white shirt—which I've tried, but it's too small (bought from ASOS, trust me—don't buy from their range!). I guessed it's too much blue, how's this?
Get_Up_2.jpg
It's a wool jumper, not merino.
fing02[1].gif
Also, wearing the pocket square corners up for some flair, against the chinos, etc. Thanks for your reply, btw—I was surprised I got so little replies, I thought you guys were more pretentious than this?! No offensive!
wink.gif

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not knocking your advice, here, but just trying to carry on thought.

fall-2009-ck-collection.jpg

Seems to work for him?

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, no blazer, just the jumper? It's a new blazer, so wanted to work it in!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems to work for him?

If this combo has a name, it is 'The Walking Dead'. It is a completely lifeless look, something akin to what Dolce does with their magazine adverts, and even they use white shirts. As the Rooster here has stated, off the runway and into real life, it fails. If this combo were in white, he's an ice cream man or the man from 'GLAD'. If in green, a garbage man; black, Neo (Matrix), etc. If you are really adamant on doing this look, I, for one, would like to see a photo of you in the outfit. Who knows..maybe you can do this monochromatic look better than thy guy on the catwalk?

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seems to work for him?

It would look much better with a white shirt. And a brown tie. And brown shoes.

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
Well, monochromatic is an interesting look. The runway shot's a bit unsuitable for real life because (to me, at least) it relies on the contrast between his hair and the suit, rather than complimenting it. Anchoring it with the darker tie and black shoes is a nice touch, though. It's a strong way to direct attention. I've got tanish skin, brown hair, and blue eyes, and I've been hypothesizing a solid green outfit, with grass green chinos, a mint green shirt, an army green belt and trench, and bright-ish green penny loafers. I think the light and dark of the shirt and trench play well against each other, with the mid-green of the pants to balance out the contrast. Now I just need the balls to put it on and the weather to coincide
laugh.gif
But enough about me and the runway shot: the look JapanAlex proposed ins't monochromatic—he's got khakis on bottom. If the tie's a brighter navy, I think it can work—matchy-matchy would be your enemy here. That said, I also think swapping the shoes to anchor the outfit with a nice dark brown balmoral (and appropriate belt, of course), and throwing a dash of contrast in the pocket square would put it over the top. Having an otherwise basic colored outfit opens up the options for pocket squares pretty wide, but a solid white one would seem to me to be the easily accessible and classic option. A deep green or brown would also be a nice touch. (I'm becoming a huge fan of green and blue, personally.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads