• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color's that look good with pale skin

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It depends on hair and eyes not just skin color. If I had to speculate, black is probably fine because pretty much everyone can wear it. I like pale redheaded women in black for example. I find black looks worse on very dark skinned people due to insufficient contrast. They often look flat and should choose some color instead.

The beige coat is riskier (may not be enough contrast with pale skin) but may be okay if you have on a blue or white shirt to provide contrast. Avoid beige shirts though.

This is all guesswork without a pic of you wearing black or beige though.

.Impulsv

Reaction score

Quote:

As someone who has a reasonable training in history, fine art and the scientific method, I have to say that this the whole 'four colour types' thing is a load of prime bullshit. It's not much better than the mediaeval 'four humours' analysis of personality. The business world is infested with all kinds of contemporary equivalents of bunko artists who peddle these sorts of 'theories'. The only solution to finding what suits you is to try different colours, shades and hues out, see what you think and see what people who matter to you say. That's it. So, I also agree with PatrickBOOTH, except about black, which can be absolutely fine too for many people - I think we in western countries are all just rather overly affected by the associations of black with firstly, cheap suits, and secondly, death (maybe not in that order!).

I would also add to that, keep Andy at Andy.

I disagree. I don't have "reasonable training in history or fine art," (not sure why that matters) but the four seasons should not be dismissed outright. Behind the flowery language there's a lot of truth. It gave me a great starting point when I started getting into dressing well, and although it's not 100% true, I've found most of it holds up.

The Andy's links are a bit dated, though. There are other sites online with better explanations of the differences between seasons, as well as the three subtypes for each.
http://www.collegefashion.net/fashion-tips/how-to-find-your-perfect-colors/ - the expanded colors.
http://www.thechicfashionista.com/seasonal-color-analysis-2.html - a pretty long guide to finding your "season."

Again, these are a good starting point. Start from here, and check your purchases (or go shopping) with someone you know is fashionable, has a good eye for color, will want to make you look good, etc. Usually, this is a woman.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree. I don't have "reasonable training in history or fine art," (not sure why that matters) but the four seasons should not be dismissed outright. Behind the flowery language there's a lot of truth. It gave me a great starting point when I started getting into dressing well, and although it's not 100% true, I've found most of it holds up.
The Andy's links are a bit dated, though. There are other sites online with better explanations of the differences between seasons, as well as the three subtypes for each.
http://www.collegefashion.net/fashion-tips/how-to-find-your-perfect-colors/ - the expanded colors.
http://www.thechicfashionista.com/seasonal-color-analysis-2.html - a pretty long guide to finding your "season."
Again, these are a good starting point. Start from here, and check your purchases (or go shopping) with someone you know is fashionable, has a good eye for color, will want to make you look good, etc. Usually, this is a woman.

I was simply bringing some reason to the table.

Astrology helps some people too. Many people in Japan think that their blood type determines their character. Doesn't mean either is actually anywhere near being true. This 'theory' is about the same level of popular pseudoscience (as is the idea that women understand colour and men don't), however you, ahem, dress it up.

.Impulsv

Reaction score
Comparing astrology and color theory is a terrible analogy. The colors you wear does enhance (or hinder) the way your skin, hair, and eye color come through. This is an observable effect, and the assumption this topic is based on.
A simple example is people with blue eyes wearing blue. Another is how, sometimes, women go shopping for new clothes after dyeing their hair a new color; I see this a lot with my friends here in Korea, as changing your hair color from black to even just brown (or vice-versa) completely changes your palette. It's actually the reason I haven't dyed my hair here, despite the trend.

The four seasons are simply a way to categorize all this for and teach this to people who don't "get" this as easily as others do. Some people don't need it. But, I had no idea how colors complemented my palette when I started dressing well, and without the four seasons model to begin with, I probably would have been through a lot more colors and clothes.

I'm a winter, by the way, as are most east Asians.

Men and women can both get color. Women have just been raised to be more mindful of it.

Last edited:

Michelleg

Reaction score
I have very pale color skin, blue eyes and darker hair color.
The colors that look best on me are:
Red, Navy, deep purple, royal blue, denim color, forest green, olive green, bright coral, teal, black,

Avoid :
Orange, bright yellow, light green, peach, pale gold, beige/tan, light browns, light pink, lavender, white (in the winder)

Hope this helps!

Basically, the brighter and bold colors look best with your colors because it brings out your eye and skin colors nicely.
Stay away from bland, light/pale colors, that will wash out your skin and take away color from your eyes.
You don't need to wear dark makeup with the right colors, you should be able to stay natural with your makeup, just a bit will make your eyes pop.

kjhfskh

Reaction score
I am not sure if you are still interested but this can be for anyone else interested. having procelain skin in no way means that you need to stick to neutrals.With porcelain skin you want to avoid colors that have orange and yellow undertones. olors can look great or terrible depending on the base colors used. In general, yellows and oranges clash with the blue undertones of your skin. Olive skin contains yellow which is why make up like Bobbie Brown looks so good on olive skin but terrible on porcelain, because the base color is yellow. Compliment your bluish undertones by wearing colors that have a base of blue. A great example of this phenomena is red.

Red with an orange undertone will look like this dress:
http://asamatterofstyle.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/sj1.jpg

Red with a blue undertone will look like this dress:
http://www.celebrityicing.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/christina-aguilera.jpg

Green with a yellow undertone will look like this:
http://media3.onsugar.com/files/201...5a6_Julianne-Moore-Green-Dress.xxxlarge_1.jpg

Green with a bluer undertone will look like this:
http://www.starandstyle.com/wp-cont...is-Vuitton-Pre-Fall-2012-Sleeveless-Dress.jpg

For colors that contain blue as well as another color choose the more blue option. Purple with more blue than red for example. The same basic principles apply to make-up as well.

Hope I was able to save someone from the years of trial and error I continue to experience. Have fun shopping!

Pochette

Reaction score
For those who are pale with pinkish undertones (like me), I find that red is an amazing color. It really mutes the pink and makes the skin look fantastic. I imagine this might be less effective on someone who also had red (orange) hair, however.

Vaileria

Reaction score
Skin brightening creams with moisturizer are the best option to improve our dark and pale complexion during winter. I used Caro white beauty lightning cream and it really worked for me. Now my skin is fair, fresh and smooth. It really works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads