• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colors for East Asians

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What colors, especially for shirts, are compatible for East Asians? I have been told that red and brown do not work well with my complexion.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red and brown shirts actually work for some people?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Kent, I think that olive/"vintage" green and paler pink shirts look good on us slopes. I've never owned a solid brown or red shirt so maybe there's a reason why.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contrasting colors, like white, black, and navy. Stay away from muted colors, expecially muted earthtones. I disagree with your generalization regarding brown and red. Dark brown and red, t-shirts for example, look pretty good. But I could see how a brown pattern on a white shirt would give an overall appearance of beige, a muted no-no.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Kent, I think that olive/"vintage" green and paler pink shirts look good on us slopes. I've never owned a solid brown or red shirt so maybe there's a reason why.

"Slopes?" (Do I want to ask?)

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
"Slopes?" (Do I want to ask?)
Nope, you don't. It is a racial slur. Believe it dates from the Korean War (maybe before...I'm not an expert on these things). EDITED TO ADD: Jason - didn't mean to put you on the spot. It was clearly used ironically, but I'm pretty sure it's one of those "I can use that term about myself, but other's can't" type of things...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
excuse the language...*I* personally don't have any problems with being referred to as a ****, nip, slope, zipperhead etc....so, I tend to use terms pretty liberally. But I realize Kent might, so pardon the indiscretion.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find Andy's chart too imprecise as it defines only pale and dark skin.

I like to toss around the racial slurs with like-minded people.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I like to toss around the racial slurs with like-minded people.

devil.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Us ******s don't have enough racial slurs designated for us... mainly since we're the ones that come up with most of the ones for others. -_-

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see, slope must be akin to slant. Gotcha. Now, this zipperhead thing...?
lookaround.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Us ******s don't have enough racial slurs designated for us... mainly since we're the ones that come up with most of the ones for others. -_-

Think so? Just travel to a country where whites are in the minority and you'll find otherwise. Things really are the same the world over, good and bad.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan

Silly crackers, epithets are for colored folk!

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that pastel colors work great for me, though I'm considered fair skinned by East Asian standards. I wear all year what I guess most caucasian people would consider the summer end of their wardrobe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads