Colors for East Asians

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Jun 12, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Kent, shouldn't you have coolies finding this research as well as doubling duty as gardeners?

2. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Us honkies don't have enough racial slurs designated for us...

Oh we have plenty, but you have to get sub-honky for that, digging down into the nativist animus for the foreign other. To wit, you could serve an Irish-American little more insult than to call him Paddy.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Oh we have plenty, but you have to get sub-honky for that, digging down into the nativist animus for the foreign other. To wit, you could serve an Irish-American little more insult than to call him Paddy.
    Or liquid intolerants to put it in subtle terms.

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I've found that pastel colors work great for me, though I'm considered fair skinned by East Asian standards. I wear all year what I guess most caucasian people would consider the summer end of their wardrobe.
    Most Filipinos are darker-skinned than East Asians; you must be an exception. I too have found success with pastels though I'm sure they're even more suitable year-round in a tropical clime, such as yours. I especially like pastel yellow but sometimes worry that it clashes with our stereotypically "yellow" skin -- which I've never found to be an accurate description of our hue.

5. xarope

xarope Well-Known Member

Hmm, I've never had any problems wearing red before, I have some nice red striped shirts (Zegna - thin red stripes, AM - thick red, Valentino - more pink than red but very fine) which people comment on - i.e., "you are looking good today", as opposed to "the shirt looks good".

FYI I do yo-yo between a darker and paler version depending on whether I get to swim, or just have to settle for the gym when I'm very busy at work.

6. VMan

VMan Senior member

Red would be perfectly fine, Commie [​IMG]

7. Alias

Alias Senior member

I wouldn't wear red because it's just too glaring. And I don't want to be mistaken for a Korean World Cup soccer fan. [​IMG] There's nothing wrong with red ties, however.

Like someone said before, I stay away from muted earth tones. Anything else is fair game.

8. Tako-kun

Tako-kun Member

You could call him English...[​IMG]

9. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

You could call him English...[​IMG]
    It's my personal opinion that any Irishman should be well pleased to be mistaken for an Englishman, as it means he has at least an ounce of class. Is Éireannach mÃ[​IMG], in case you think I'm being racist. EDIT: On second thought, I am being racist. But the Irish deserve it.

10. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Is Éireannach mÃ[​IMG], in case you think I'm being racist.

No, just self-loathing, which is pitiable on its own terms.

11. javyn

javyn Senior member

When they'd shoot a VC in the head during the war with an M16, their heads would open up like zippers, hence the term "zipperhead".

What ever happened to the term, 'chink'? That one was tried and true.

I myself, would prefer to be called cracker over honky. I think we should do away with all the politically correct euphemisms for race and just use slurs. It will dilute their power, and maybe give us all a sense of humor and help get along.

btw I think east Asians look really good in black, but I'm not great with colors maybe my eyes/brain is screwed up.

12. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

When they'd shoot a VC in the head during the war with an M16, their heads would open up like zippers, hence the term "zipperhead".

What a gruesome concept. Ugggh...

13. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

What colors, especially for shirts, are compatible for East Asians? I have been told that red and brown do not work well with my complexion.

Kent, i used to think the same way as you do too. my mom always told me that asians cant wear browns, reds, greys, yellows, ...basically any color but blue, black, or white.

so all my life i just wore blue, black or white. can you believe this? my whole closet was just those 3 colors.

but after i met my wife, she opened my mind to a variety of other colors, colors i was afraid to wear, like light brown, greens, reds. even purples.

now i wear all colors, only thing is, for asians, we have to match the colors well. that is it.

i still dont wear yellow though.h

14. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

May one refer to a Scot as 'Mac', or is that not PC?
    [​IMG]

15. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

My own color palette:

Heavy-weighted towards earth tones. 20-30% of my closet is dedicated to browns and their various iterations, including cream herringbone/twill shirts that I substitute for white on most occasions.

Scant orange (ties and pocket squares) and yellow is completely absent.

For color, I tend to favor purple, lavender, and burgundy. I have a few pink items, but the cooler colors definitely dominate. I make very limited use of greens and olives, though I wouldn't mind picking up a few mint colored ties. They seem to be less popular than the ressurgence of ultra-preppy lime.

I have been accussed of having an "old man" wardrobe by a fashionista. Preppy and boho girls usually provide the most favorable comments.