• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coloring jean stitching with a permanent marker. Bad idea?

nambio

Reaction score
OK, so we all have a pair of raw denims which came with yellow stitching for some reason... and maybe it will look better if that stitching was black. Or, definitely, it will look better black. In my case I got an awesome deal on a denim/leather Rick Owens DRKSHDW jacket which is looking a little nineties for my taste, since it has contrast stitching.

Has anyone ever colored over their stitching with a permanent marker? What were the results? Did it last? Would you recommend it?

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not sure if serious, but no, don't do it.

If you want a raw denim jean with dark stitching, buy a raw denim jean with dark stitching. Such jeans are not hard to find these days.

jsanders65

Reaction score
I used to do that when I was younger, didn't last of course.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not do it, I have a pair that has pink stitching and I deal with it.

I would imagine that it would eventually come off.

Mariooo

Reaction score
is this the new handicraft hobby subforum? :lurk:

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This totally sounds like something I would have done when I was a kid. I remember when my friends and I used to get those silicon guns for caulking and put it on the bottom of our shoes thinking it looked like nike airs.

Regarding your specific question, would strongly recommend against it for several reasons:

- When the thread rolls, it will look horrible b/c the coloring won't be even.
- If you slip or the ink bleeds onto the jacket, you'll have marker stains on your clothing.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't acne have great raw indigo with dark sticking? The marker idea would end badly man. you know it. We all know it.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size are they? Maybe you should send them my way so I can have a professional take a look... :)

nambio

Reaction score
Haha ok, point taken! I'll live with it.

Yes, it was a serious question, and we don't always have the luxury or budget for buying EXACTLY what we want, especially if we already have it in our wardrobe being unused :)

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK, so we all have a pair of raw denims which came with yellow stitching for some reason... and maybe it will look better if that stitching was black. Or, definitely, it will look better black. In my case I got an awesome deal on a denim/leather Rick Owens DRKSHDW jacket which is looking a little nineties for my taste, since it has contrast stitching.

Has anyone ever colored over their stitching with a permanent marker? What were the results? Did it last? Would you recommend it?

Silly idea - it will wash out anyway and simply look dreadful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads