• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coloring facial hair

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about using hair color on my goatee, and I've got two questions about it. First, my wife thinks she read "something, somewhere" about how hair coloring products often don't work on facial hair because there's a texture difference. Sounds unlikely to me, but I thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone has any experience with it.

Second, does anyone here have any experience with the product called Touch of Gray? My hair has gone very nicely gray at the temples and the rest is salt and pepper, mostly pepper. It's my goatee that's the problem. It's salt and pepper above my upper lip, but it has gone completely white on my chin. In fact, it's gotten a little hard to see, and from a distance it looks like I have a moustache instead of a goatee.

In short, I'm looking for something that will bring the bottom part of my goatee back into line with the rest of my hair.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Use a dye designed for facial hair if you wanna do it natural colors.

For unnatural colors, be prepared for hell. When I dyed flames into mine, it was like being molested by chemicals and death. Entirely worth it.

tallgolfnut

Reaction score
I have the same problem you do with my goatee. Showing to much gray. I tried "Just for Men" and it never lasted long so now I have given up on the coloring until I find a more permanent solution. Although my girlfriend says the gray is distinquished.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a full beard. I stopped coloring my hair about a year ago. When I did I had a stylist do the coloring of both my hair and beard. I would go to the stylist every six weeks. At the third week, I would trim my beard and re-color with Just for Men. It was a good routine which worked for me.

rxcats

Reaction score
I used Just for Men when I had a beard. It was a bother because it didn't last very long and I don't think it looked very natural. I wouldn't have been so against a little grey, but in my case it hadn't come in so splotchy and uneven. I had brown patches and grey patches randomly all over my beard and it just didn't look good. I gave up and shaved it off. I look younger without a beard anyway.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rookeShieldsBackontheBoards008-vi.jpg

Hi, Billy Mays here!

tallgolfnut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rutherfard
Actually facial color hair has change to your face looking. Some times unbelieved looking, So if you want to use colors u can check your face is it to give good looking or not. I think black and brown colors has given good looking for every guy or girl....

HUH????

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you end up coloring your beard, be sure to do the recommended test for an allergic reaction regularly. I used one of the products designed to color beards for about a month without any problems. Then I ignored the appearance of several tiny red bumps, a micro-rash, on my arm during the allergy test. Big mistake. I had developed an allergy to the dye and discovered that an allergic reaction on your face is not fun. After looking on the web, I found that many people are allergic to the ingredient p-aminophenol. So now I use Clairol Nice 'n Easy, a product designed for women's hair. It doesn't last more than about a week, but it's the only thing I've found without p-aminophenol and I'm not allergic to it.

In short, you can use products not designed specifically for facial hair, but don't expect the color to last as long. And take the allergy warnings seriously.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
In short, you can use products not designed specifically for facial hair, but don't expect the color to last as long. And take the allergy warnings seriously.
Good to know. Thanks for the tips and especially for the warning.

So far nobody has commented on the product Touch of Gray. Anyone? Anyone?

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
I'm thinking about using hair color on my goatee

You might want to just buzz it off. It probably doesnt look as good as you think it does.

dl

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
You might want to just buzz it off. It probably doesnt look as good as you think it does.
And perhaps my naked face doesn't look as good as you think it does.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. That's pretty much what I'd look like without the goatee.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn. that's some next level
spam[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads