• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colorful socks with suit

ziizly

Reaction score
Hi guys, question - how bad is to wear colorful socks with suit for job. Or it is better to leave it for weekends.

I received gift from my wife (Intensive blue socks) with comment that i need some colors at job. What is your opinion?

ca4b69_a62c260202814d959d1d1cddd6f2e32d~mv2_d_4928_3264_s_4_2.jpg

paxonus

Reaction score
Not those. But you could try something in a solid red or magenta.
9634fc15d6c15f155c64e9e908b68939--red-socks-tom-boy.jpg

reggin

Reaction score
A stylish thing to do is to hide complex patterns in places you wouldn't traditionally see them, hidden between your plain clothing, like water in a desert. I'd say it partly defines this era of style

Socks are something to carefully calculate, it's cool to have them colourful but you don't want people to fix their eyes on to them as you want people to be looking at your face and upper torso.

Panonus's picture of the actor with the red socks, he's using red to bridge his brown shows with his dark suit (a combo that theoretically shouldn't work). The red matches the shoe whilst the fabric matches the trousers.

Anachronist

Reaction score
I still feel that if the guy would wear something else in red further up, it would balance the picture and keep the person centre most. It's hard not to keep looking at his socks and shoes as the glance is always drawn down to his feet due to the powerful color there... however, an absolutely acceptable measure to draw people's attention to a wonderful pair of shoes and distract from a maybe less wonderful looking face ;)

Hewes

Reaction score
A solid matching color is the best option to wear with a suit, in my opinion

ziizly

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for you opinion. So what would be your suggestions, as I already received these "Math man socks"(picture in the beginning of article), with which clothes (casual & jeans, what about business casual? ) , I should wear it. In case I will wear it only at home, I will have serious problem with my wife :) So I should wear it not only at home.

reggin

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for you opinion. So what would be your suggestions, as I already received these "Math man socks"(picture in the beginning of article), with which clothes (casual & jeans, what about business casual? ) , I should wear it. In case I will wear it only at home, I will have serious problem with my wife :) So I should wear it not only at home.
It depends, are you the eccentric type? and if yes do you like to embrace your eccentricity? if yes for both then why not? i work with a programmer who's in his 50s and he dresses very odd, but no one cares because he wears what he wears with confidence.
if you're confident to wear something then do it. all change in trends come from mutating the rules

not only that but the socks say something about your personality, a good way to express yourself

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first suggestion is do not ever let your wife buy you clothes. Nothing personal—I refer to any wife, including mothers of boys older than fifteen.

Having said that, your problem, and hers, is that men don’t wear ties anymore. Neckwear is traditionally how men added color to their outfits—yet if the evening talk show hosts are any indication, even men who wear ties these days favor dull solid grey or black neckwear. For reasons beyond my aging comprehension, the undertaker look rules. So your wife’s instinct was correct. The correct solution is a colorful pocket square.

reggin

Reaction score
My first suggestion is do not ever let your wife buy you clothes. Nothing personal—I refer to any wife, including mothers of boys older than fifteen.

Having said that, your problem, and hers, is that men don’t wear ties anymore. Neckwear is traditionally how men added color to their outfits—yet if the evening talk show hosts are any indication, even men who wear ties these days favor dull solid grey or black neckwear. For reasons beyond my aging comprehension, the undertaker look rules. So your wife’s instinct was correct. The correct solution is a colorful pocket square.

Good answer. What do you think of cravats (under the shirt ones)?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good answer. What do you think of cravats (under the shirt ones)?
I love cravats, or ascots, but they are tough to pull off for men under 60. If you are younger and want to sport an ascot, try wearing one to something like a Sunday brunch, or even Thanksgiving dinner. It should go without saying they have no place in a conventional office environment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads