• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colorblindness: How Do You Deal With It?

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not colorblind myself, but I know a huge number of men are... something like one in ten. Once in a while these dudes write me at Put This On asking for help, but I don't know what to tell them.

So for those of you who are color blind, how do you deal with it?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm red/green color blind. Sartorially, I deal with it by having a lot of blue, white and grays in my wardrobe :D

My biggest problem is reading presentations or reports where numbers are color coded with green for good and red for bad. Luckily I'm usually either the audience for those reports or the producer of them, so I tell people to use a different way :D

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red/Green, Blue/Purple, Yellow/Green, Red/Brown, etc here.

Colorblind is like not having a perfect pitch; you can't tell if a note is out of tune but its god damn easy to know a cord is not in harmonic.

So, I might not be able to tell between green and red, but I know very well which colors go well together.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Do you see grey or see a color that you cant recognize ?

dhfc55

Reaction score
Not colour blind myself but have a couple of friends who are.
Have to echo above, never seems to be an issue over the whole spectrum just specifics like red-green (a common one).
Where buying formal clothes are concerned, stick to the basics (eg classic white shirts) and it shouldn't present much in the way of problems.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
by percentage. i have plenty of customers who are color blind.
vary rarely is it mentioned right away.
some customers even seem a bit embarrassed by the problem

I find that behavior odd. They are coming to me for shirts that they will enjoy,
I am not judging, I just need the information to help aid the process,

when we do discuss, the problem, i do my best to understand what they can and cannot see.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting. Do you see grey or see a color that you cant recognize ?

Colorblind does not mean that those affected wont be able to see the colors. It just means they have a very hard time telling one from the other. Sort of like tone deaf, and even them can tell if a song is out of tune.

I do know for very severe case of color blindness they only see gray scale. But i am only blessed to be able to read only some of the color chart numbers.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting perspective regarding tone deaf, because I relate to that to a degree.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting topic. I have no experience with this but were it my problem, I would use the resources of Styleforum to locate a reputable store in my area and make an appointment with said store, whereby they will have someone assigned to serve my needs.
Just did some quick Google and thought this was interesting:
http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/dressing-colorblind-man/

:lurk:

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

by percentage. i have plenty of customers who are color blind.
vary rarely is it mentioned right away.
some customers even seem a bit embarrassed by the problem

I find that behavior odd. They are coming to me for shirts that they will enjoy,
I am not judging, I just need the information to help aid the process,

when we do discuss, the problem, i do my best to understand what they can and cannot see.

Do you recommend anything in particular when you're working with them?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best solution is to marry a wife with excellent sartorial taste.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
or at least one that won't mind when you wake her up every morning so she can tell you what color stuff is

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads