• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color socks with shorts

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just another dumb question, but I was wondering what do you do when you're wearing shorts. I know with pants, you need to wear something that matches either the pants or shoes so not to break the illusion of continuity. But, with shorts, you've already done that so do you really need to worry about this. Should we try to match the same color as the shoes. I'm assuming the shoes would be casual, like sneakers or whatever.

And, what about the white socks we wore when little. Is that something where we didn't know any better.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
No socks with shorts unless you're involved in some athletic activity.

If you must where socks try ankle high white ones.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
No colored socks with shorts. It makes people look like goobers. Or college professors (no offense to those in academia, just my observation).

Ankle socks -- for athletic events.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With regard to athletic shoes, I guess I got confused becuase I was thinking about UM basketball with the Fab Five when they had black sneakers, black socks.

Does it make it a difference if we're talking sneakers or those still casual shoes like the Steve Madden with those 3 stripes. In both cases, do you still wear white socks?

PeterMetro

Reaction score
You guys are going about this all wrong.

The solution? Don't wear shorts.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
You guys are going about this all wrong. The solution? Â Don't wear shorts.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Talking about out of the box thinking. Yet the solution has the added benefit of sparing humankind from the sight of skinny, milky-white legs (like my own). Still, I'm not giving up on shorts that easy. I might wear bermuda-shorts as a compromise. MtB

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(PeterMetro @ 02 July 2004, 06:25) You guys are going about this all wrong. The solution? Â Don't wear shorts.
biggrin.gif
Â
biggrin.gif
Talking about out of the box thinking. Yet the solution has the added benefit of sparing humankind from the sight of skinny, milky-white legs (like my own). Still, I'm not giving up on shorts that easy. I might wear bermuda-shorts as a compromise. MtB
Please don't tell me you are one of those people who walk down the Fred wearing shorts, low black/blue dress socks, and dress shoes (like wingtips or captoes).
angry.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Looking to improve @ 02 July 2004, 4:06)
Originally Posted by PeterMetro,02 July 2004, 06:25
You guys are going about this all wrong. The solution? Don't wear shorts.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Please don't tell me you are one of those people who walk down the Fred wearing shorts, low black/blue dress socks, and dress shoes (like wingtips or captoes).
angry.gif

Actually, that is a fairly common thing to see in certain neighborhoods in Miami. Men, wearing a wife beater (a common term for a sleeveless undershirt here in America), dark shorts, dress socks and perfectly shining dress shoes. WHAT-ARE-THEY-THINKING?
cry.gif
Jon.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ImageWIS:
Actually, that is a fairly common thing to see in certain neighborhoods in Miami. Men, wearing a wife beater (a common term for a sleeveless undershirt here in America), dark shorts, dress socks and perfectly shining dress shoes.

WHAT-ARE-THEY-THINKING?
Luckily I was spared that sight when I was at West Palm Beach (conference was held there). Almost drowned though.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Please don't tell me you are one of those people who walk down the Fred wearing shorts, low black/blue dress socks, and dress shoes (like wingtips or captoes). Â
angry.gif
No, I'll wear colourful Burlington (argyle) socks to just over my ankle (IF I'm wearing socks). And either my bootschoenen or my white bucks. And the Bermuda-shorts, of course. Does this put you at ease again? MtB P.S. Enjoy your weekend.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(T4phage @ 02 July 2004, 07:35) Please don't tell me you are one of those people who walk down the Fred wearing shorts, low black/blue dress socks, and dress shoes (like wingtips or captoes). Â
angry.gif

No, I'll wear colourful Burlington (argyle) socks to just over my ankle (IF I'm wearing socks). And either my bootschoenen or my white bucks. And the Bermuda-shorts, of course. Does this put you at ease again? MtB P.S. Enjoy your weekend.
ja prettige weekend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads