1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Color socks with shorts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by esquire., Jun 25, 2004.

1. esquire.

esquire. Distinguished Member

Just another dumb question, but I was wondering what do you do when you're wearing shorts. I know with pants, you need to wear something that matches either the pants or shoes so not to break the illusion of continuity. But, with shorts, you've already done that so do you really need to worry about this. Should we try to match the same color as the shoes. I'm assuming the shoes would be casual, like sneakers or whatever.

And, what about the white socks we wore when little. Is that something where we didn't know any better.

2. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior Member

No socks with shorts unless you're involved in some athletic activity.

If you must where socks try ankle high white ones.

3. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior Member

No colored socks with shorts. It makes people look like goobers. Or college professors (no offense to those in academia, just my observation).

Ankle socks -- for athletic events.

4. esquire.

esquire. Distinguished Member

With regard to athletic shoes, I guess I got confused becuase I was thinking about UM basketball with the Fab Five when they had black sneakers, black socks.

Does it make it a difference if we're talking sneakers or those still casual shoes like the Steve Madden with those 3 stripes. In both cases, do you still wear white socks?

5. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior Member

You guys are going about this all wrong.

The solution? Don't wear shorts.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

LOL.

I like shorts, especially during those particularly sticky South Florida summers when the temperature gets to 92 degrees Fahrenheit and the humidity level is at 80%.

Jon.

7. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] Talking about out of the box thinking. Yet the solution has the added benefit of sparing humankind from the sight of skinny, milky-white legs (like my own). Still, I'm not giving up on shorts that easy. I might wear bermuda-shorts as a compromise. MtB

8. T4phage

T4phage Distinguished Member

(PeterMetro @ 02 July 2004, 06:25) You guys are going about this all wrong. The solution? Â Don't wear shorts.
    [​IMG] Â [​IMG] Talking about out of the box thinking. Yet the solution has the added benefit of sparing humankind from the sight of skinny, milky-white legs (like my own). Still, I'm not giving up on shorts that easy. I might wear bermuda-shorts as a compromise. MtB
    Please don't tell me you are one of those people who walk down the Fred wearing shorts, low black/blue dress socks, and dress shoes (like wingtips or captoes). [​IMG]

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

(Looking to improve @ 02 July 2004, 4:06)
    You guys are going about this all wrong. The solution? Don't wear shorts.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Talking about out of the box thinking. Yet the solution has the added benefit of sparing humankind from the sight of skinny, milky-white legs (like my own). Still, I'm not giving up on shorts that easy. I might wear bermuda-shorts as a compromise. MtB
    Please don't tell me you are one of those people who walk down the Fred wearing shorts, low black/blue dress socks, and dress shoes (like wingtips or captoes). [​IMG]
    Actually, that is a fairly common thing to see in certain neighborhoods in Miami. Men, wearing a wife beater (a common term for a sleeveless undershirt here in America), dark shorts, dress socks and perfectly shining dress shoes. WHAT-ARE-THEY-THINKING? [​IMG] Jon.

10. T4phage

Originally posted by ImageWIS:
    Luckily I was spared that sight when I was at West Palm Beach (conference was held there). Almost drowned though.

11. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Senior Member

No, I'll wear colourful Burlington (argyle) socks to just over my ankle (IF I'm wearing socks). And either my bootschoenen or my white bucks. And the Bermuda-shorts, of course. Does this put you at ease again? MtB P.S. Enjoy your weekend.

12. T4phage

(T4phage @ 02 July 2004, 07:35) Please don't tell me you are one of those people who walk down the Fred wearing shorts, low black/blue dress socks, and dress shoes (like wingtips or captoes). Â [​IMG]
    No, I'll wear colourful Burlington (argyle) socks to just over my ankle (IF I'm wearing socks). And either my bootschoenen or my white bucks. And the Bermuda-shorts, of course. Does this put you at ease again? MtB P.S. Enjoy your weekend.
    ja prettige weekend.