• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

color palette suggestions for burgundy coat

Reaction score
Good evening all,

I'm relatively new to the forum. I've seen some very attractively coordinated outfits on here these past several days and I'd appreciate your opinions as I assemble a few outfits around a coat that I "just had to have". It's a burgundy Zegna silk and cashmere coat. The photograph doesn't quite capture the color, but it's close and you can see the weave of dark and light fibers.

A little about me that might be relevant to color/pattern selection. I'm lighter skinned but not pale w/ dark brown hair and eyes and slim 6'2".

I was thinking of pairing it with ties along these lines:

Perhaps medium grey or charcoal pants and cognac/walnut/black bal cap toes.

I'd love to read your opinions for color/pattern combos I should consider.

I should mention that I'm a marketing consultant in the tech industry and most often deal with mid-level and senior executives.

Looking forward to your opinions.

Kind regards,

Joe

Last edited:

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
So the coat is dark purple and you'll be wearing it for work? Hmm...I'd try solid shirts in ivory, cream, or ice blue (almost white). Solid ties in navy, charcoal, and mid brown. You're going to have a hard time making patterns work with that coat, since the color is so unusual.

I would not wear that orange and purple patterned tie with that coat.

Mid gray pants for darker days, lighter grays for sunnier days. Somehow, I don't think tan pants would be right with that coat. For social, try cream and stone pants.

With that coat, for work, you want the shoes to be at least as dark as the trousers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Testudo, I am fortunate to be able to step outside the norm and wear whatever I choose, especially in a field where we're expected to be creative and think outside the box. At industry events colleagues know to look for the man with shoulder length hair that isn't dressed like anyone else...lol. Still, I still like to keep it tasteful and interesting.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I really appreciate the insight.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Testudo, I am fortunate to be able to step outside the norm and wear whatever I choose, especially in a field where we're expected to be creative and think outside the box. At industry events colleagues know to look for the man with shoulder length hair that isn't dressed like anyone else...lol. Still, I still like to keep it tasteful and interesting.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I really appreciate the insight. 

Good for you.

I used to have a burgundy cashmere coat with a regency collar when I was at Uni. I used to wear unusually colored suits like pink, green, purple and more regular colors. I found that a burgundy coat went well with everything better than blue or black or even grey. You can probably wear most colors with it.

sartorialnoob

Reaction score
I may be completely off base, but I almost think a very dark green pair of trousers would work. I have no idea what shirt or tie to pair with that combination though.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforum Joe. Would you provide one photo of the entire coat please?

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

I may be completely off base, but I almost think a very dark green pair of trousers would work.  I have no idea what shirt or tie to pair with that combination though.

I'm not sure about dark green, but I think you're right that certain shades of olive could work too, in either wool gabardine or cotton drill. Light olive for wool gab, I think. The olive would have to be really gray, though, to avoid looking like the Joker.

A really dark forest green tie, like the grenadine Kent Wang sells, might work well too, with either the ivory or the ice blue shirt.

Reaction score
Thank you David, that's wonderful to read coming from you (Fantastic work btw. I just visited your site). I think I might try a few tasteful yet unexpected combinations.

Man of Lint, it's a pleasure to be here. Thank you. So glad that I discovered this site recently. So many questions of mine have already been answered with simple searches. Fantastic insight and opinions from members. I have a photo of the coat in which it appears much more purple than burgundy...so I photoshopped it minutes ago to attempt to more accurately match the true color. Still the photo is a bit more toward purple than the actual coat but at least you can see the coat now.

Testudo, sartorial, love the idea of the idea of olive green/grays. I had not even considered green before. Opens up the door to many more possibilities. Thanks

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
That's not bad at all. The shirt is a bright white, right? The next I'd do is get an ivory or cream shirt, which will help soften the impact of the coat color and help it blend better with the blue tie. It'll also help the blue of the tie stand out a little better. Bright white has a blue undertone, so the blue tie is kind of getting lost a bit against the shirt.

Reaction score
Yes, that is a bright white. I know exactly what you mean about the undertone, though I never considered its impact on the blue tie. Good call...I'll try ivory and cream as well.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a "Deep" color palette. I'm not sure of the coat's color, but I would suggest an aubergine, light peach, or mint colored shirt. Add a bittersweet tie which is a mid-red color.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CT thank you for the update photo.
Some suggestions:

Shirts:
Light Blue, Burnt Orange, Cream, Peach, Off White
Explore contrast collars, spread collars & button down collars.
Patterns: Striped, Gingham, Tattersal,
Have a look here for visual ideas >> http://www.tiedeals.com/shirts/shirts.htm
This link is for photos...I have no direct experience ordering with this site.

Ties:
Block colours, stripes, patterned, Knit, etc
Use complimentary contrasting colour in the tie that work with both shirt and jacket

Pants:
Tan, Navy, Red, White (if you dare)

Shoes:
pretty much any colour, again that compliments above colours

A few photos to see colour matching:

Be inspired by nature:

Hope this helps.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
those earth colors look really good next to a burgundy or deep purple suit.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Great post there, Man of Lint. Well done. I wouldn't myself pair the coat with tan pants. I agree that the combination works in terms of colors complementing, but something seems odd about the look. I think it's that a purple silk and cashmere lounge coat is ultra-metropolitan and evening-suggestive, while tan trousers suggest daytime and non-city environs . It'd be sort of like pairing a shiny navy mohair suit coat with tan wool pants. In terms of colors complementing, it looks fine. But in terms of the surroundings the clothes suggest, it looks odd.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads