• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color matching theory....and matching ties to shirts

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bebps5.jpg
Clearly they all work with a white shirt. But, I really have no idea how to pair a tie with a solid colored/checked shirts.... What sort of ties work with a typical white checked shirt? Also, which work with a typical blue shirt? Also, I'd like to oder 5 pocket squares from them. Can you recommend some staples? http://www.thetiebar.com/

SuitMyself

Reaction score
12 ties for $15 each . . . $180 in total. That's not too shabby.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO The Tie Bar ties are pretty much disposable. I would spend your money on four or five proper ties.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, have you experienced any tie from them? Are you sure that they are of good quality? I have no experience from them, but I would refrain myself buying cheap things in bulk. There are reasons why they are cheap.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would reconsider, if nothing else your choices.
Two orange?I have a black and white houndstooth tie (bigger pattern than the one you chose, but still) and can't wear it with anything, looks too much like a wedding tie to me.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
IMHO The Tie Bar ties are pretty much disposable. I would spend your money on four or five proper ties.

i am new to this site. please elaborate on what you mean by 'proper' ties... specific brands?

Mountains

Reaction score
Most posters here are going to eulogize brands like Brooks Brothers, Drakes of London, and basically anything made by an obscure (preferably English) tailor.

My ties (all four of them!) are just mall-bought Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers. I try to avoid buying anything for retail price, though. At the moment, RL is running its Final Sale and Brooks Brothers has some vaguely beneficial discount, viewable on their respective websites if you're interested.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add to my previous post: their ties are rather thin and the fabric is poor. They are 3.75" wide. You have a skinny tie there as well which I think is well below 3". I can't imagine anyone who would be comfortable with ties of that large of a range. I don't wear anything above 3.5" or below 3". If you are set on them, however, the orange, blues and reds (including the striped tie) would go with a light blue shirt. The reds, blues and greys would go with a pink shirt. The violet and "erudite" orange are ugly and less versatile, and you have too many reds.
Originally Posted by Bill_in_Bethlehem
i am new to this site. please elaborate on what you mean by 'proper' ties... specific brands?
Originally Posted by Mountains
Most posters here are going to eulogize brands like Brooks Brothers, Drakes of London, and basically anything made by an obscure (preferably English) tailor. My ties (all four of them!) are just mall-bought Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers. I try to avoid buying anything for retail price, though. At the moment, RL is running its Final Sale and Brooks Brothers has some vaguely beneficial discount, viewable on their respective websites if you're interested.
These are better options, in my opinion.

oroy38

Reaction score
I bought 1 regular tie, 1 bowtie, and a pocket square to test them out. Pocket square is fine, but the tie and bowtie felt cheap to me, both in construction and material. But then again, they are $15, and they're better than any other $15 ties I've seen.

Honestly, for $180 you can go to the Rack and get 5 or 6 well made ties by Robert Talbott and be better off than with 12 cheap ones.

For what it's worth, though, the pocket squares are a pretty good deal.

nemroth

Reaction score
I use to follow the rule of "two solid one patterned". With few exceptions. It works for me, but I have to admit that I´m not very good matching clothes and having a rule to follow is very helpful.
About colors, what unjung said.
BTW, is not what you´re asking, but I second the advice of less ties but better quality.

tcnjbanker123

Reaction score
For this price you could get 4 Brooks ties on sale that will serve you longer and look better. Also you could head to a Lord and Taylor or the like and pick up 5 or 6 higher quality ties you can actually feel and see first, which is what I need to do before buying. Except for a few (Brooks, vineyard vines, press) which I trust, it's important to see and touch what your buying especially in light of the other comments

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
OP, have you experienced any tie from them? Are you sure that they are of good quality? I have no experience from them, but I would refrain myself buying cheap things in bulk. There are reasons why they are cheap.
+1 In my opinion quality over quantity is much more important. -LR

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
12 ties for $15 each . . . $180 in total. That's not too shabby.
I 100% agree with "less is more" However, since I am trying out a new look, I don't pay for "top of the line". If I truly take to certain colors/ties, I can always replace them with better ones, if these $15's are truly lacking.
Originally Posted by ruben
I would reconsider, if nothing else your choices. Two orange?I have a black and white houndstooth tie (bigger pattern than the one you chose, but still) and can't wear it with anything, looks too much like a wedding tie to me.
I agree, I will only keep the one burnt orange tie. Do you have any replacement recommendations in building a "foundation"? Yes, I think small check is more versatile than a bold houndstooth tie, which I would not buy
Originally Posted by Mountains
Most posters here are going to eulogize brands like Brooks Brothers, Drakes of London, and basically anything made by an obscure (preferably English) tailor. .
Yes, I don't care about label name. I don't care if they're thin, b/c I will not be weighing the ties on a scale, I will be wearing them!
Originally Posted by unjung
To add to my previous post: their ties are rather thin and the fabric is poor. They are 3.75" wide. You have a skinny tie there as well which I think is well below 3". I can't imagine anyone who would be comfortable with ties of that large of a range. I don't wear anything above 3.5" or below 3". If you are set on them, however, the orange, blues and reds (including the striped tie) would go with a light blue shirt. The reds, blues and greys would go with a pink shirt. The violet and "erudite" orange are ugly and less versatile, and you have too many reds. These are better options, in my opinion.
Yes, the "violet" might be too light. Do you like the darker plum? I thought the burnt orange would be a slightly bolder "going out" tie... (Not for an office) Thanks. So, blue ties go with blue shirts? I thought you should avoid matching the tie and shirt?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads