• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color matching theory....and matching ties to shirts

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a good deal but it dose speak poorly of the quality. Perhaps it was just a good sale. As far as paring them they all seem very versatile and should go with just about anything so you should have no trouble there.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jcriswel, thank for the color matching lesson. I think I get it. In your first pairing, the shirt has a slight red stripe, and has some "earthy" warmth that helps "blend" into the red tie. On the website example, they almost clash, b/c its pure blue vs pure red. There is no "transition". Am I on the right track?
Originally Posted by unjung
People with light skin tones. Not that no blond can get away with it, he just needs a tan. Probably better on older guys as well, 45+.
What about that checked jacket w/ orange tie suggests that its appropriate for a darker skin tone? I read the Flusser stuff on contrast, pairing and skin tones, but need some more examples. The concepts didn't really sink in.
Originally Posted by R-H
You won't wear any of these ties 6 months from now.
B/c they're too "exotic" or b/c they're too boring? Can you suggest a few from their site

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
jcriswel, thank for the color matching lesson. I think I get it. In your first pairing, the shirt has a slight red stripe, and has some "earthy" warmth that helps "blend" into the red tie. On the website example, they almost clash, b/c its pure blue vs pure red. There is no "transition". Am I on the right track?
Yes, you're on the right track. I don't pretend to be an expert on combining colors, patterns, and texture. I've been trying to learn myself. A little research on color theory has helped me. My research has taught me about primary, secondary, and tertiary colors. I know what a hue is. I know the difference between tint, tone, and shade. When matching colors I understand monochromatic, analogous, complementary, etc color matching. If you Google color theory you will find lots of material on basic color matching. I like this link for the basics on color matching http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/C...ordination.htm Besides basic colors, there are the rules like the tint or tone of the tie should be darker than the shirt. It's not a hard and fast rule, but it usually works in 90% of the cases. Violating this rule makes you look like a member of the Corleone family. I thought I would take a shot at another one of the ties you selected - the multi-tint orange. Again, I have selected a swatch from Modern Tailor.
orangetieblueorangechec.jpg
I confess... this might be a little more dramatic than most would prefer. It is adventurous and creative which is part of the fun in the process. Yet, I believe the combination still stays within the bounds of sound color selection. Don't forget about pattern and texture. Personally, I like the challenge of combining colors and patterns. It's easy to find a tie pattern that works with a solid shirt. It's a challenge when the pattern of the shirt is a check, stripe, or some other pattern. Texture is equally important. You certainly don't want a solid, shiny, silk tie combined with a tweed sports coat. I tried to answer your original question which pertained to matching ties and shirts. I didn't want to stray away and get caught up in the quality discussion of the Tie Bar. I don't believe you asked for an opinion on the quality of their products. You might be on to something here. Buy a cheap tie in the color you like, match it with your existing shirts. Wear it a few times and get opinions. If you find a tie from the Tie Bar that works well with many of your shirts or with new shirts you plan to buy, then throw away the cheap tie, go out and find a good tie in a similar color and pattern. Genius! Perhaps you should limit the number of ties you purchase in that case. It does make sense to own, ultimately, higher quality ties. Save your budget for them.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
That is a good deal but it dose speak poorly of the quality. Perhaps it was just a good sale. As far as paring them they all seem very versatile and should go with just about anything so you should have no trouble there.
Originally Posted by oroy38
But then again, they are $15, and they're better than any other $15 ties I've seen.
It's a moot point, because you shouldn't be in the habit of buying $15 ties. It's a total waste of $15, which is no deal at all. Far better to spend a bit more money on a decent-quality tie that will last a lifetime and flatter its owner than to spend "only" $15 on a tie you'll eventually regret having purchased. If anything, buying the $15 tie now is more expensive than buying a good tie, because you're paying $15 today and will eventually pay the price for a real tie when you decide to discard this one. So you're basically adding $15 to the cost of a better tie. Take it from someone who was similarly lured by the promise of The Tie Bar a few years ago and made some regrettable purchases: you're not saving any money; you're throwing it down the drain.

R-H

Reaction score
B/c they're too "exotic" or b/c they're too boring?
Can you suggest a few from their site

No, because they appear to be of cheap quality. Look around at Kent Wang, Howard Yount and the Buy and Sell forum for some deals on conservative ties (burgandy, navy). Spend a bit more now on a few select ties.

You'll hate those Tiebar purchases in a few months. Waste of money.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
It's a moot point, because you shouldn't be in the habit of buying $15 ties. It's a total waste of $15, which is no deal at all. Far better to spend a bit more money on a decent-quality tie that will last a lifetime and flatter its owner than to spend "only" $15 on a tie you'll eventually regret having purchased.

Agreed that ties that retail for $15 are probably shoddy and best avoided, but I don't think there's necessarily a correlation between price and longevity. (Other than "obviously cheap stuff doesn't last," of course.) I don't expect to get more than a few years out of any of my ties, even the priciest ones, at least those that get regular wear. I'm pleased when a high-dollar tie surprises me with its durability, but many end up wrinkled and worn just like their cheaper compatriots. Charvet is the perfect example of this -- delicate, expensive silks that often aren't long for this world. I wouldn't buy one thinking I was establishing a long-term relationship.

Above Sam Hober's pricepoint, I tend to think ties are a racket. For the most part, I think what you're buying is the latest style, and at a premium.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
criswel,
That Orange tie with mostly Orange shirt seems to match TOO much.
Verges on when the shirt and tie are the same color!

Can you pair that orange tie with a grey suit ?

In fact, which of the above 12 ties can be paired with a mid-grey suit ?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a TieBar.com review from Amazon: This is *not* a "cheap" tie. It's well constructed, has a good hand, and looks very nice. This tie is woven, not printed; the houndstooth pattern is woven into the fabric, as should be the case with a good tie. This also gives the tie a bit of texture. This is true of all of TheTieBar's ties that I've purchased; they are consistently of excellent quality. I'd compare them very favorably with my ties costing $50 or more. TieBar will be getting all of my tie "budget" for the forseeable future
smile.gif

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as "sturdy quality", in reality, people grow bored of (or grow out of) clothes long before they fall apart.
Closets are full of neglected clothing that barely yet have a loose thread..

I just tossed out a closet full of $10 ties from 1993. Some even cost $1.
I wore them for many years. Not one "fell apart".

Also, I have worn cheap shoes for almost 40 years,
and I have never had a shoe "disintegrate after 3 days".

Further, most people are unable to distinguish the real thing from a fake. (watch, tie, etc)
Hell, you need to INCINERATE a $100 cashmere scarf before you can tell it apart from a $10 acrylic.

Sure, the $15 tie won't be as good as a $100 tie.
I'm just TESTING OUT a few new colors/styles for the price of ONE fancy tie...
And, I have a sneaking suspicion they will be more than suitable for my casual uses.
If not, I will splurge on the styles I actually retain in my rotation.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Depends, I think. I've bought plenty of ties from Marshalls for $15 that held up fine. But I've also seen plenty of $15 ties that didn't hang straight even when new, and tossed a few no-names that wrinkled so badly after one wear that I knew they'd never look right again.

For the most part, SF overrates the importance of "quality," yes. But that's partly because it's so easy to get burned. Kenneth Cole corrected-grain bricks won't fall apart after a wear or two, but they advertise their pedigree in short order.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Here is a TieBar.com review from Amazon:
This is *not* a "cheap" tie. It's well constructed, has a good hand, and looks very nice. This tie is woven, not printed; the houndstooth pattern is woven into the fabric, as should be the case with a good tie. This also gives the tie a bit of texture. This is true of all of TheTieBar's ties that I've purchased; they are consistently of excellent quality. I'd compare them very favorably with my ties costing $50 or more. TieBar will be getting all of my tie "budget" for the forseeable future
smile.gif

foo.gif

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do whatever you feel right
smile.gif
, people here just tried to make sure that in the future you won't "I should have...."

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Onix, yes, I'm quite grateful for the advice, and I know it's good advice. (less is more)

I will keep you posted on how the ties compare to my BB and Ferrag. ties.

Until then, I'd love to keep talking about the STYLE aspect of ties...

Which colors pair with which jackets and shirts, etc.
Some favorite combinations, etc.

jcriswel

Reaction score
criswel, That Orange tie with mostly Orange shirt seems to match TOO much. Verges on when the shirt and tie are the same color! Can you pair that orange tie with a grey suit ? In fact, which of the above 12 ties can be paired with a mid-grey suit ?
I agree, the orange tie and the blue check shirt with orange highlights matches too much. Additionally, some may say the blue is a bit too strong -- too much tint/tone. I threw that in for you to consider your options with checked shirts. Can the orange tie work with a gray suit? Absolutely. Gray is a neutral color. Therefore, anything works with gray - even gray (that's called monochromatic). As far as the orange tie, try this combination out.
27304641.jpg
Here's another.
orangetiebluecheckshirt.jpg
Pattern matching worries me on this one. The tie appears to be woven silk and the weave has a check pattern. The check pattern on the shirt is small. Therefore, the contrast in check patterns might not be strong enough. This is a case where having the actual tie and shirt together makes all the difference. There's only so much one can do with pics and PhotoShop. As mentioned earlier, with your semi-solid ties in basic colors, you will find combining them with shirts and sports jackets or suits fairly easy. You simply need to keep the color rules in mind. I gave you a link for the basics on color. Pattern matter too. Match a solid tie with a checked or striped shirt. If you match a shirt and tie with the same pattern i.e. stripes, make sure that the scales of the stripes are substantial different. All of these rules can be found in Manton's book - The Suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads