Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Color coordination

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clueless, Nov 11, 2003.

1. clueless

clueless New Member

I've always relied on my girlfriend to help me coordinate my clothes. I'm tired of getting her to ok my dress all the time. I think I have a good sense of style and I can put together pieces that would go well together if we lived in a black and white world. But when it comes to choosing shirts to go with pants to go with shoes I'm lost as far as mixing colors. Where can I get help? Is there a secret decoder ring that I can buy that will help me? Software program? Color chart? Book? Helpline?

2. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

mixing colors is an art, not a science. there really are no rules for this, but i'll tell you how i do it and maybe it will give you some ideas. first, i think of colors as falling into two basic categories:

1) earth tones: brown, green, orange, and yellow (i hate yellow)

2) shades of blue and red, includes purple (if you like yellow, you can add it to this category too.)

generally speaking, i don't mix colors from group one with colors from group two.

an example
    red shirt with blue pants
    or
    green shirt with brown pants

however, there are a million exceptions to this, so don't think of it as a rule so much as a guideline. if you see a green/blue striped shirt you like, wear it. these colors can go well together (yellow + blue = green).

i've seen men wear brown shoes and belts with blue suits and blue shirts and it works. it casualizes the outfit a little.

note: if you are wearing a lot of earth tones stick with black shoes and belt, as it can be cheesy looking to overdo the earth tones. mr. aybojs pointed this out a while ago, and i completely agree.

i should mention that almost all of my clothes are either black, grey, white, or brown. i could pick out an outfit with my eyes closed and it would probably match. i do however like to use colors as spices, especially blue, burgundy, and lavender.

i say just lay the outfit on your bed, look at it, and if you like it, go for it. good luck.

3. AskAndyAboutClothes

AskAndyAboutClothes Senior member

Clueless: It's not easy. I've written some articles on the subject and you're welcome to review and comment about them: Color theory: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Clothes....ion.htm How to put color matching into practice: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/C...lorReality.htm Coordinating patterns, fabric weights, etc. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/C...ordination.htm And matadoropeta, I do run around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. You don't suppose...? Andy

4. FCS

FCS Senior member

On the issue of colour coordination, today I'm wearing light steel blue pants with black shoes (the only colour I have on my shoes). I shine my shoes regularly so the gloss is there. Somehow I look quite weird in front of the mirror, like there is a big break from the pants to the shoes. Is it just my feeling or is this something I should avoid?